Summer Reading Lists

  • Bill West
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2005
      I know we've touched on this before either here or on Mythsoc but being
      in the book business it sort of bubbled back up to the surface of my mind
      again the other day.

      Schools finaly got out for the summer here in Massachusetts this past
      week ( a lot of snow days this winter led to a later school year)and
      parents
      descended upon us with summer reading lists in hand and less than
      enthusastic
      kids in tow. There's many of the usual books that appear on them every year
      but many of the schools now either include fantasy or sf as part of the
      list or allow
      the kids to pick an "optrional reading book." One class at a large local
      high school
      has Ray Bradbury's /"Something Wicked This Way Comes" /as mandatory
      reading for all students. Other assigned books from various lists
      include /"Ender's Game"/
      /"Childhood's End" "A Wizard of Earthsea", "I Am Mordred" /and /"Flowers
      for
      Algernon"/ on the intermediate and high school lists. And Lewis and
      Tolkien as well,
      of course.

      Then there's the books the kids pick for themselves, like /"Eragon"/
      or /"Dragon Rider"/
      and the /Droon/ or /Pendragon/ series.

      And of course HP6 is 13 days away now.

      It occurs to me that it's a wonderful time for kids to discover sf and
      fantasy.
      Not all of this stuff is deathless prose but it sparks their
      imaginations and
      might create some adult genre readers (and writers) in the process.

      Bill

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
        Hi--
        The books the kids I'm teaching at the Summer Institute for the Gifted
        are things like Eragon, Narnia (because of the movie). They are
        eagerly awaiting "Harry Potter". They have also "discovered"
        Earthesea-- and are riveted. They range from 4th to 8th grade. I
        assigned my 8th graders some Kipling- they are enjoying it.

        I read a lot of Andre Norton, Anne MacAffrey -- the general "classics"
        of the SF genre: Heinlien, Asimov, Clark and the like as a teen. In
        college I remember reading things like "Siddhartha", some James Joyce,
        Stendahl, Goethe, and a little of the Russians. I "tried* to read
        "Naked Lunch", "The Crying of Lot 49" and "Venus on a Half Shell" but
        found them mostly boring. (All my contemporaries were ga-ga over
        "gonzo journalism" and people like Pinchon & Vonnegut at the time...)
        I discovered W.B. Yeats in my junior year of college, and never put
        him down. Tolkien in the 10th grade, and never put him down again,
        either.

        I had a brief foray into mysteries that still tempt me now and then.
        Fantasy isn't respectable or hip-- that's probably why I liked it in
        the first place, now it's just what I enjoy the most. Hope this
        helps-- Lezlie
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
          That was written by Peoria's own Phillip Jose Farmer, using [with
          grudging permission] the "Kilgore Trout" character created by Kurt
          Vonnegut, Jr. as by nom de plume.