Re: 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Lezlie
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
      I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
      room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
      good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
      anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
      whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
      of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
      > If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
      > be a better choice for young readers.
      >
      > Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is
      also
      > a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
      > Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
      > particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
      > certainly illustrated here.
      >
      > It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
      > college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
      > move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to
      read
      > bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
      > Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of
      Lating, too.

      > Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
      > bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
      > nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.
      >
      > Have fun with it & the students will, too.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Mike
      >

      > juliet@f... wrote:
      >
      > >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@z... wrote:
      > >

      > >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to
      stick with
      > >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
      > >>

      > >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The
      Foundling_.
      > >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
      > >
      > >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate.
      The older
      > >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good
      for them,
      > >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed
      alone with
      > >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume
      of about a
      > >dozen of his fairy tales.
      > >
      > >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of
      Sherrill_
      > >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the
      Dragon
      > >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good
      effect. She
      > >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate
      for kids.

      > >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think,
      if _The
      > >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an
      excerpt from
      > >the Narnia books.
      > >
      > >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd
      also look at
      > >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past
      Mythopoeic