Re: [mythsoc] Keynote Speaker question

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
      Maybe David Emerson?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
        I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
        and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
        there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
        I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
          They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
          Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
          seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
          the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
          Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
          from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
          how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
          tell Edmund afterall.

          I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
          letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
          or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

          Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
          voice alone in the wilderness!

          Hugh

        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
            In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
            dianejoy@... writes:
            I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
            and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
            there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
            I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
            -

            I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
            undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

            Grace

          • Heather Gemmen
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
              Hello,

              It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
              Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
              doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
              tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
              in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
              be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
              would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
              recognizes it.

              Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
              hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
              is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
              events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
              dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
              the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
              pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

              Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
              this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
              don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
              read it as a stand-alone.

              Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
              That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
              the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
              accommodate.

              Regards,

              Heather Gemmen
              B.A., Calvin College 1990
              English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

              On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              > Message: 4
              > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
              > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
              > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
              >
              > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
              > demanding
              > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
              > happen--he
              > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
              > not be at
              > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
              > knows the
              > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
              > expect it
              > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
              > suggests, given
              > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
              > Susan and
              > tell Edmund afterall.
              >
              > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
              > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
              > about it,
              > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
              > crucifixion.
              >
              > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
              > was a
              > voice alone in the wilderness!
              >
              > Hugh

            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                becauae he does feel alone.

                While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                lacks a purpose.

                Hugh