"half-orcs"

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 2:45 PM
      I just ran across an error in the 1978 edition of Robert Foster's _The
      Complete Guide to Middle-earth_. No doubt Foster has corrected it since
      then, and no doubt everyone else using the book knows about it, but in case
      I have really hit on something new, let me note it. Under "Half-Orcs," 2nd
      paragraph, Foster says "The half-orcs (the term is not used in
      LotR)...". But I find the term in _The Two Towers_, Ch. 9 (on p. 171 of
      the 1st ed.).

      --Joe

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 3:01 PM
        "But these creatures of Isengard, these half-orcs and goblin-men that the
        foul craft of Saruman has bred, they will not quail at the sun" - chapter
        3.7, p. 142
        "We had many of these half-orcs to deal with at Helm's Deep" - chapter 3.9,
        p. 171 (Joe's citation)
        "Of all the ends to our journey this is the very last I should have thought
        of: to have to fight half-orcs and ruffians in the Shire itself - to rescue
        Lotho Pimple!" - chapter 6.8, p. 285