Re: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
      Thanks for thinking, however briefly, that I'm that subtle & clever.

      Margaret Dean wrote:

      >Mike Foster wrote:
      >

      >>Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
      >>behind on the readings.
      >>
      >>Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
      >>'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
      >>lively.
      >>

      >And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
      >a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
      >in keeping with the story. :)
      >

      >--Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@...>

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
        I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
        room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
        good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
        anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
        whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
        of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
        > If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
        > be a better choice for young readers.
        >
        > Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is
        also
        > a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
        > Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
        > particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
        > certainly illustrated here.
        >
        > It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
        > college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
        > move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to
        read
        > bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
        > Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of
        Lating, too.

        > Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
        > bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
        > nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.
        >
        > Have fun with it & the students will, too.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Mike
        >

        > juliet@f... wrote:
        >
        > >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@z... wrote:
        > >

        > >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to
        stick with
        > >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
        > >>

        > >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The
        Foundling_.
        > >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
        > >
        > >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate.
        The older
        > >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good
        for them,
        > >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed
        alone with
        > >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume
        of about a
        > >dozen of his fairy tales.
        > >
        > >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of
        Sherrill_
        > >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the
        Dragon
        > >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good
        effect. She
        > >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate
        for kids.

        > >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think,
        if _The
        > >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an
        excerpt from
        > >the Narnia books.
        > >
        > >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd
        also look at
        > >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past
        Mythopoeic