Re: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
      Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
      behind on the readings.

      Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
      'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
      lively.

      Mike

      juliet@... wrote:

      >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
      >

      >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
      >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
      >>

      >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
      >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
      >
      >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
      >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
      >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
      >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
      >dozen of his fairy tales.
      >
      >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
      >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
      >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
      >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
      >
      >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
      >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
      >the Narnia books.
      >
      >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
      >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
      >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
      >from that list that I'd recommend.
      >
      >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
      >
      >Julie

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
        Mike Foster wrote:

        > Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
        > behind on the readings.
        >
        > Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
        > 'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
        > lively.

        And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
        a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
        in keeping with the story. :)

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks for thinking, however briefly, that I'm that subtle & clever.

          Margaret Dean wrote:

          >Mike Foster wrote:
          >

          >>Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
          >>behind on the readings.
          >>
          >>Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
          >>'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
          >>lively.
          >>

          >And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
          >a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
          >in keeping with the story. :)
          >

          >--Margaret Dean
          > <margdean@...>

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
            I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
            room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
            good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
            anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
            whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
            of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
            > If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
            > be a better choice for young readers.
            >
            > Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is
            also
            > a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
            > Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
            > particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
            > certainly illustrated here.
            >
            > It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
            > college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
            > move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to
            read
            > bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
            > Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of
            Lating, too.