Whew!

  • wpierce@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 1999
      I've been following some of the dialog recently, being a new member and interested in learning more about JRRT. I'm very impressed with NG's remarks, although, I found them to be a little (like a eagle riding a thermal) over my head. Query what does Poststructural mean and how does it apply to JRRT? I've noticed that JRRT's article about the Land of Fairie seems to ring true with Joesph Campbell's studys on mythology.
      On a different tact: I've happened onto Humphrey Carpenter's Tolkien Biography and am worming my way through it. One of the things that strikes me
      is how JRRT seemed to be so deeply involved with Middle Earth. There are references to JRRT treating his work as history and not imagination. Talk about Walter Middy (I've used a movie reference again and I've probably gotten the characters name wrong to boot.) That does not mean I think any less of JRRT, as a matter of fact, I believe it was his continued efforts at keeping Middle Earth alive that set him apart from other writers. However, just imagine if other writers like Steven King have a similar imagination. That to me is a real scary thought Having read a little H.P.Lovecraft, I wouldn't dare discount the possibility.