Darth Vader- Prowes or Jones?

  • Johanna Kershaw
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2000
      Delurking in response to the one comment on SW I actually know something
      about...
      David Bratman wrote
      >the reviewer, following thepress kit which did not mention Jones, said that
      >Vader was played by one David Prowse, who sounds remarkably like James Earl
      >Jones. <

      Actually Darth Vader was played by Dave Prowes, not James earl Jones, who
      merely provided the voice. I understand that Lucas decided that Dark Lords
      simply do not speak in a Bristolean accent (Can't think why not - but I
      suppose it makes a change from the cliche of Brits being villains). I
      believe that Prowes did not know that this would be done and was very upset
      by the decision - especiallly as it is Jones' face that is finally seen.
      All this information comes from my roommate, who is a bit of a SW fanatic,
      I have only seen the first one (ie episode 4). It was - fascinating, if
      only because i couldn't see what the fuss was about. Yes, it was quite a
      fun way to pass an evening, but the script was pretty bad and I found Mark
      Hamil annoying. Worth watching, but I can't see why it inspires such
      devotion. But then I am a Trek person... It didn't seem to have the same
      depth of the best of Trek, although admittedly it wasn't as bad as Star Trek
      V - but then, what is? I seem to remember David singled out the Motionless
      Picture as one of the worst fils he'd ever seen, which I think is a little
      unfair - it just wanted a firmer edit than it got, and in comparision to the
      horror that Shatner produced (aparrently his original script was even worse)
      is a brilliant piece of storytelling. Or did you have the sense to avoid V?
      (I wish I had). And of course neither SW or trek can rival Tolkien or
      Lewis.
      Scuttling off back to my corner...