Re: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
      On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
      > Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
      > shorts, it's only a three week class.

      We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
      I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.

      George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
      language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
      too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
      illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
      dozen of his fairy tales.

      Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
      which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
      of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
      also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.

      Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
      Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
      the Narnia books.

      Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
      http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
      Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
      from that list that I'd recommend.

      I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.

      Julie
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
        If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
        be a better choice for young readers.

        Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is also
        a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
        Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
        particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
        certainly illustrated here.

        It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
        college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
        move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to read
        bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
        Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of Lating, too.

        Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
        bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
        nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.

        Have fun with it & the students will, too.

        Cheers,
        Mike

        juliet@... wrote:

        >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
        >

        >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
        >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
        >>

        >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
        >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
        >
        >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
        >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
        >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
        >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
        >dozen of his fairy tales.
        >
        >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
        >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
        >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
        >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
        >
        >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
        >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
        >the Narnia books.
        >
        >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
        >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
        >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
        >from that list that I'd recommend.
        >
        >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
        >
        >Julie

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
          Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
          behind on the readings.

          Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
          'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
          lively.

          Mike

          juliet@... wrote:

          >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
          >

          >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
          >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
          >>

          >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
          >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
          >
          >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
          >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
          >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
          >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
          >dozen of his fairy tales.
          >
          >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
          >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
          >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
          >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
          >
          >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
          >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
          >the Narnia books.
          >
          >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
          >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
          >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
          >from that list that I'd recommend.
          >
          >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
          >
          >Julie

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
            Mike Foster wrote:

            > Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
            > behind on the readings.
            >
            > Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
            > 'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
            > lively.

            And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
            a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
            in keeping with the story. :)

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
              Thanks for thinking, however briefly, that I'm that subtle & clever.

              Margaret Dean wrote:

              >Mike Foster wrote:
              >

              >>Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
              >>behind on the readings.
              >>
              >>Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
              >>'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
              >>lively.
              >>

              >And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
              >a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
              >in keeping with the story. :)
              >

              >--Margaret Dean
              > <margdean@...>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lezlie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
                room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
                good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
                anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
                whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
                of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie