Re: [mythsoc] Keynote Speaker question

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
      A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
      the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
      Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
      give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
      the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
      who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
      would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

      DB

      At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

      >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
      >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
      >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
      >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
      >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
      >at the medieval archives there...
      >
      >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
      >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
      >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
      >
      >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
      >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
        Maybe David Emerson?

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
          I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
          and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
          there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
          I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
            They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
            Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
            seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
            the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
            Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
            from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
            how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
            tell Edmund afterall.

            I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
            letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
            or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

            Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
            voice alone in the wilderness!

            Hugh

          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
              In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
              dianejoy@... writes:
              I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
              and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
              there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
              I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
              -

              I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
              undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

              Grace

            • Heather Gemmen
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
                Hello,

                It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                recognizes it.

                Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                read it as a stand-alone.

                Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                accommodate.

                Regards,

                Heather Gemmen
                B.A., Calvin College 1990
                English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Message: 4
                > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                >
                > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                > demanding
                > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                > happen--he
                > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                > not be at
                > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                > knows the
                > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                > expect it
                > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                > suggests, given
                > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                > Susan and
                > tell Edmund afterall.
                >
                > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                > about it,
                > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                > crucifixion.
                >
                > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                > was a
                > voice alone in the wilderness!
                >
                > Hugh

              • Hugh Davis
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                  Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                  think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                  becauae he does feel alone.

                  While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                  self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                  sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                  is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                  has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                  lacks a purpose.

                  Hugh