Re: [mythsoc] Narnia Poster

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
      > I just took a look at the Narnia movie poster. What's with the polar
      > bears? Couldn't they find reindeer?

      I think it's the whole Hollywood complex: Something Bigger, Something
      Showier - even, Something Colder.

      I noted, for instance, that what is apparently Cair Paravel in the movie is
      a huge complex about 90 times bigger than the modest Pauline Baynes drawing
      would be (if real).

      If I were a producer who wanted to rationalize it, I'd say "Oh, using
      reindeer would lead to confusion with Father Christmas!" (Hey, has anyone
      heard whether HE is going to be in the show?)

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
        Father Christmas is listed for the movie, to be played by James Cosmo, a
        big, burly actor who often plays heavies. Most recently, I think he was in
        Troy as Glaucus (advisor to Priam). This will mean, at least, that Father
        Christmas fulfills that description about how he didn't seem quite as jolly
        in that world.

        Hugh

        >From: "Stolzi" <Stolzi@...>
        >To: "Mythopoeic Society" <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Narnia Poster
        >Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:34:40 -0500
        >
        > > I just took a look at the Narnia movie poster. What's with the polar
        > > bears? Couldn't they find reindeer?
        >
        >I think it's the whole Hollywood complex: Something Bigger, Something
        >Showier - even, Something Colder.
        >
        >I noted, for instance, that what is apparently Cair Paravel in the movie is
        >a huge complex about 90 times bigger than the modest Pauline Baynes drawing
        >would be (if real).
        >
        >If I were a producer who wanted to rationalize it, I'd say "Oh, using
        >reindeer would lead to confusion with Father Christmas!" (Hey, has anyone
        >heard whether HE is going to be in the show?)
        >
        >Diamond Proudbrook

      • Kevin Bowring
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
          I don't know if Coca Cola is still doing their old polar bear thing, but it wouldn't be surprising to find a product tie-in somewhere in this.