Re: [mythsoc] Keynote Speaker question

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
      I suggest Janet B Croft!

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
        Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary to
        tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
        Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
        crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
        dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
        knowing what happened.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks,
        Hugh
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
          A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
          the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
          Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
          give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
          the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
          who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
          would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

          DB

          At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

          >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
          >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
          >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
          >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
          >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
          >at the medieval archives there...
          >
          >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
          >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
          >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
          >
          >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
          >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
            Maybe David Emerson?

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
              I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
              and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
              there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
              I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

              Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary
              tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
              Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
              crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
              dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
              knowing what happened.

              Any suggestions?

              Thanks,
              Hugh

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
                Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
                seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
                the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
                Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
                from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
                how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
                tell Edmund afterall.

                I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
                or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

                Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
                voice alone in the wilderness!

                Hugh

              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                  In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  dianejoy@... writes:
                  I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                  and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                  there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                  I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
                  -

                  I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
                  undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

                  Grace

                • Heather Gemmen
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Hello,

                    It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                    Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                    doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                    tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                    in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                    be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                    would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                    recognizes it.

                    Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                    hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                    is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                    events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                    dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                    the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                    pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                    Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                    this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                    don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                    read it as a stand-alone.

                    Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                    That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                    the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                    accommodate.

                    Regards,

                    Heather Gemmen
                    B.A., Calvin College 1990
                    English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                    On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                    > Message: 4
                    > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                    > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                    > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                    >
                    > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                    > demanding
                    > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                    > happen--he
                    > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                    > not be at
                    > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                    > knows the
                    > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                    > expect it
                    > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                    > suggests, given
                    > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                    > Susan and
                    > tell Edmund afterall.
                    >
                    > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                    > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                    > about it,
                    > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                    > crucifixion.
                    >
                    > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                    > was a
                    > voice alone in the wilderness!
                    >
                    > Hugh

                  • Hugh Davis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                      Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                      think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                      becauae he does feel alone.

                      While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                      self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                      sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                      is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                      has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                      lacks a purpose.

                      Hugh