RE: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      I just finished a week of teaching writing to 7th & 8th graders (also not my
      cup of tea, but I was asked when someone else backed out)--we wrote and
      re-wrote some fairy tales, and the girls were very imaginative in their
      work.

      What about reading some Lloyd Alexander? I loved the Prydain books when I
      was a 4th grader.

      Hugh

    • lezlie1@znet.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
        shorts, it's only a three week class.
        I expect much in the way of imagination--- luckily, the fantasy course is a
        literature class not a writing class.

        The writing class is a much more straightforward syllabus & for older
        students. Thanks, I appreciate the input. Lezlie

        Quoting Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...>:
> [...]
        >
        > >also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor
        > --
        >
        > >his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
        >
        > >October 2001

        > Fantasy science fiction
        >

        > Fantasy science fiction magazine
        >

        > Book writing software
        >

        > Writing book
        >

        > Writing child book
        >

        > Writing science fiction

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

        "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
        calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
        request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
        like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
        the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
        cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
          On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
          > Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
          > shorts, it's only a three week class.

          We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
          I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.

          George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
          language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
          too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
          illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
          dozen of his fairy tales.

          Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
          which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
          of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
          also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.

          Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
          Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
          the Narnia books.

          Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
          http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
          Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
          from that list that I'd recommend.

          I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.

          Julie
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
            If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
            be a better choice for young readers.

            Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is also
            a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
            Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
            particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
            certainly illustrated here.

            It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
            college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
            move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to read
            bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
            Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of Lating, too.

            Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
            bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
            nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.

            Have fun with it & the students will, too.

            Cheers,
            Mike

            juliet@... wrote:

            >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
            >

            >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
            >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
            >>

            >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
            >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
            >
            >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
            >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
            >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
            >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
            >dozen of his fairy tales.
            >
            >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
            >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
            >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
            >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
            >
            >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
            >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
            >the Narnia books.
            >
            >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
            >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
            >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
            >from that list that I'd recommend.
            >
            >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
            >
            >Julie

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
              Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
              behind on the readings.

              Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
              'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
              lively.

              Mike

              juliet@... wrote:

              >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
              >

              >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
              >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
              >>

              >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
              >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
              >
              >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
              >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
              >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
              >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
              >dozen of his fairy tales.
              >
              >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
              >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
              >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
              >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
              >
              >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
              >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
              >the Narnia books.
              >
              >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
              >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
              >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
              >from that list that I'd recommend.
              >
              >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
              >
              >Julie

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Margaret Dean
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
                Mike Foster wrote:

                > Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
                > behind on the readings.
                >
                > Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
                > 'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
                > lively.

                And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
                a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
                in keeping with the story. :)

                --Margaret Dean
                <margdean@...>
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Thanks for thinking, however briefly, that I'm that subtle & clever.

                  Margaret Dean wrote:

                  >Mike Foster wrote:
                  >

                  >>Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
                  >>behind on the readings.
                  >>
                  >>Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
                  >>'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
                  >>lively.
                  >>

                  >And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
                  >a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
                  >in keeping with the story. :)
                  >

                  >--Margaret Dean
                  > <margdean@...>

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Lezlie
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                    I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
                    room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
                    good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
                    anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
                    whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
                    of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie