4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hello all,
      I'm doing a little teaching at UC Berkeley's "Summer Camp for Gifted
      Children" this July. (A teacher fell while out salsa dancing and broke her
      ankle-- she may have just strained the Achilles tendon, the X-rays aren't
      clear. So, would I like the job? I don't normally teach youngsters, but...
      sure...)

      Three classes for three weeks staring Monday. I'll be teaching writing to
      middle schoolers, speech to 4 & 5 graders (that should be fun), and --
      FANTASY FICTION!! to 4, 5 & 6 graders -- any suggestions for short stories?

      Thanks loads! Lezlie

      "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      October 2001
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        I just finished a week of teaching writing to 7th & 8th graders (also not my
        cup of tea, but I was asked when someone else backed out)--we wrote and
        re-wrote some fairy tales, and the girls were very imaginative in their
        work.

        What about reading some Lloyd Alexander? I loved the Prydain books when I
        was a 4th grader.

        Hugh

      • lezlie1@znet.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
          Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
          shorts, it's only a three week class.
          I expect much in the way of imagination--- luckily, the fantasy course is a
          literature class not a writing class.

          The writing class is a much more straightforward syllabus & for older
          students. Thanks, I appreciate the input. Lezlie

        • juliet@firinn.org
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
            On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
            > Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
            > shorts, it's only a three week class.

            We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
            I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.

            George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
            language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
            too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
            illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
            dozen of his fairy tales.

            Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
            which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
            of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
            also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.

            Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
            Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
            the Narnia books.

            Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
            http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
            Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
            from that list that I'd recommend.

            I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.

            Julie
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
              If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
              be a better choice for young readers.

              Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is also
              a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
              Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
              particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
              certainly illustrated here.

              It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
              college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
              move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to read
              bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
              Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of Lating, too.

              Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
              bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
              nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.

              Have fun with it & the students will, too.

              Cheers,
              Mike

              juliet@... wrote:

              >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
              >

              >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
              >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
              >>

              >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
              >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
              >
              >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
              >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
              >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
              >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
              >dozen of his fairy tales.
              >
              >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
              >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
              >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
              >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
              >
              >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
              >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
              >the Narnia books.
              >
              >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
              >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
              >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
              >from that list that I'd recommend.
              >
              >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
              >
              >Julie

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
                Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
                behind on the readings.

                Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
                'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
                lively.

                Mike

                juliet@... wrote:

                >On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
                >

                >>Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
                >>shorts, it's only a three week class.
                >>

                >We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
                >I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.
                >
                >George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
                >language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
                >too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
                >illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
                >dozen of his fairy tales.
                >
                >Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
                >which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
                >of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
                >also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.
                >
                >Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
                >Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
                >the Narnia books.
                >
                >Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
                >http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
                >Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
                >from that list that I'd recommend.
                >
                >I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.
                >
                >Julie

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Margaret Dean
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Mike Foster wrote:

                  > Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
                  > behind on the readings.
                  >
                  > Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
                  > 'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
                  > lively.

                  And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
                  a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
                  in keeping with the story. :)

                  --Margaret Dean
                  <margdean@...>
                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Thanks for thinking, however briefly, that I'm that subtle & clever.

                    Margaret Dean wrote:

                    >Mike Foster wrote:
                    >

                    >>Oops, Latin, not Lating. Truly, they could learn lating too if they get
                    >>behind on the readings.
                    >>
                    >>Another finger-fumble etched in cybers due to the 'Ready,' 'FIRE!',
                    >>'Aim' nature of E-mail that makes some of these exchanges so very, uh,
                    >>lively.
                    >>

                    >And here I thought that might have been intentional -- imitating
                    >a colloquial, countrified pronunciation that would be very much
                    >in keeping with the story. :)
                    >

                    >--Margaret Dean
                    > <margdean@...>

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Lezlie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2005
                      I *am* having fun with it! I would like to back into the college class
                      room by fall-- have an interview this month -- but, this group is a
                      good bunch. Very gifted students, some already know "Lating". Would
                      anyone like me to post the course syllabus for inspiration or
                      whatever? Or, be willing to send a pithy & wise note as a "real writer
                      of fantasy" to be shared with the class? Lezlie