RE: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1941

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      MKK: I don't suppose they'd appreciate a paper on Elric as the Sulky
      Teen-Age Angst Incarnation of the Immortal Hero, huh?

      Why not? It's a valid subgenre of the Immortal Hero. Must be some
      others out there who either influenced or were influenced by him, or
      present a good example for comparison. Heck, look how sulky Harry
      Potter got in the last book -- no big black sword, but plenty of angst!

      Janet
    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
        In a message dated 7/1/2005 8:09:10 AM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
        writes:
        MKK: I don't suppose they'd appreciate a paper on Elric as the Sulky
        Teen-Age Angst Incarnation of the Immortal Hero, huh?

        Why not? It's a valid subgenre of the Immortal Hero. Must be some
        others out there who either influenced or were influenced by him, or
        present a good example for comparison. Heck, look how sulky Harry
        Potter got in the last book -- no big black sword, but plenty of angst!

        Janet
        ---

        Neil Gaiman has a really interesting (at least, I thought it was interesting)
        short story about the influence of Moorcock on his own work.

        Grace Monk

      • lezlie1@znet.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
          Quoting Walkermonk@...:

          > In a message dated 7/1/2005 8:09:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
          > jbcroft@...
          >
          > writes:
          >
          > MKK: I don't suppose they'd appreciate a paper on Elric as the Sulky
          >
          > Teen-Age Angst Incarnation of the Immortal Hero, huh?

          LOL! I would love to read it-- generally what I thought of him, and never
          read another! (also the gratuitious violence-- not my cuppa...) Lezlie

          > Why not? It's a valid subgenre of the Immortal Hero. Must be some
          >
          > others out there who either influenced or were influenced by him, or
          >
          > present a good example for comparison. Heck, look how sulky Harry
          >
          > Potter got in the last book -- no big black sword, but plenty of angst!
          >

          > Janet
          >
          > ---
          >

          > Neil Gaiman has a really interesting (at least, I thought it was
          > interesting)
          >
          > short story about the influence of Moorcock on his own work.
          >

          > Grace Monk

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

          "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
          calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
          request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
          like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
          the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
          cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
          the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
          also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
          his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
          October 2001
        • lezlie1@znet.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
            Was that Brocceliande? (SP?) ("Starlit Jewel") they did a terrific job--
            heard a concert a while ago in a local venue. Their "journey" to the CD is
            somewhat legendary amongst the folkies here abouts.

            The thing is, I still like the Swann/Tolkien collaboration better & have
            been trying to find a copy of my very own for years and years. I found a
            book with written music at the local PB, but no luck finding a recording--
            yet!

            Lezlie

            Quoting "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>:

            > On Jun 30, 2005, at 9:26 PM, Mary Kay wrote:
            >

            > > some friends of mine did a tape of music based on Bradley's
            >
            > > settings of some of Tolkien's poetry. And it took, literally,
            >
            > > years to get permission from the Estate and it came hedged with all
            >
            > > sorts of stipulations and conditions like taking out the chorus
            >
            > > that had been added to the Cat & Fiddle Song, only x number of
            >
            > > tapes allowed, and tapes only, no cds. It was later republished as
            >
            > > a cd but that took years of negotiations again. And it was
            >
            > > definitely the Estate, not the publishers.
            >

            > I'm familiar with the case (they're friends of mine too!)
            >

            > One has to remember that the Tolkien Estate was _created_ by Tolkien
            >
            > for the purpose of protecting (_inter alia_) his literary legacy. The
            >
            > exercise of that fiduciary responsibility (and so it is: it's not as
            >
            > though the agents of the Estate have no _responsibilities_; in fact,
            >
            > they work VERY hard in their duties) entails ensuring that the Estate
            >
            > upholds the integrity of Tolkien's work and its usage(s). And given
            >
            > the very high quality of the results in this particular case --
            >
            > really among the very best musical settings of Tolkien's poems I'm
            >
            > aware of -- I'd say they fulfilled their duties admirably.
            >

            > As for the limitation on the number of copies: well, let's remember
            >
            > that, unlike the issue of _academic_ use with which this discussion
            >
            > specifically started, this particular project was a) non-academic and
            >
            > b) commercial. (I'm guessing, though I don't know for sure since I
            >
            > never asked the band members, that the Estate didn't charge any
            >
            > licensing fees or royalties on the project?)

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

            "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
            calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
            request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
            like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
            the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
            cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
            the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
            also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
            his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
            October 2001
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
              On Jul 1, 2005, at 11:14 AM, lezlie1@... wrote:

              > The thing is, I still like the Swann/Tolkien collaboration better &
              > have been trying to find a copy of my very own for years and years.

              The latest British edition of _The Road Goes Ever On_ contains a CD
              of a performance of the song cycle:

              http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0007136552/
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                > In a message dated 7/1/2005 8:09:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
                > jbcroft@...
                >
                > writes:
                >
                > MKK: I don't suppose they'd appreciate a paper on Elric as the Sulky
                >
                > Teen-Age Angst Incarnation of the Immortal Hero, huh?

                LOL! I would love to read it-- generally what I thought of him, and never
                read another! (also the gratuitious violence-- not my cuppa...) Lezlie

                LOL 2x for me! How can I top MKK's comments, when they say everything I've
                felt about Moorcock so well (tho Leslie rightly points out the violence).
                So adolescent! Some kids never grow up. ---djb

                > Why not? It's a valid subgenre of the Immortal Hero. Must be some
                >
                > others out there who either influenced or were influenced by him, or
                >
                > present a good example for comparison. Heck, look how sulky Harry
                >
                > Potter got in the last book -- no big black sword, but plenty of angst!
                >

                > Janet
                >
                > ---
                >

                > Neil Gaiman has a really interesting (at least, I thought it was
                > interesting)
                >
                > short story about the influence of Moorcock on his own work.
                >

                > Grace Monk

                > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                >

                > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

                "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
                calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
                request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
                like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
                the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
                cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
                the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
                also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
                his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
                October 2001

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • lezlie1@znet.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                  Thank you ! Thank you!!!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                    In a message dated 7/1/2005 10:24:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    dianejoy@... writes:
                    LOL! I would love to read it-- generally what I thought of him, and never
                    read another! (also the gratuitious violence-- not my cuppa...) Lezlie

                    LOL 2x for me! How can I top MKK's comments, when they say everything I've
                    felt about Moorcock so well (tho Leslie rightly points out the violence).
                    So adolescent! Some kids never grow up. ---djb
                    ---

                    I really do recommend Neil Gaiman's story very highly -- it manages to show
                    that adolescent angst for what it is, while remembering how serious it felt at
                    the time and how life changes. (It also tells more of his frustration with CSL
                    as a young teen.) The title of the story is "A Life Furnished in Early
                    Moorcock." It's in his "Smoke and Mirrors" collection.

                    Grace