Re: [mythsoc] Keynote Speaker question

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
      In a message dated 6/30/2005 10:37:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      I guess people here are too modest to nominate themselves. Since Tom
      Shippey turned you down because he couldn't do this trip just for this
      conference,
      I presume that this means that you won't be able to afford someone really
      well known or really far away and hence expensive. How about Mike Foster,
      who
      teaches at Illinois Central College? How about Verlyn Flieger, who teaches
      at
      the University of Maryland, College Park? How about Charles Huttar, who
      teaches at Hope College in Michigan (although he's more of a general
      Inklings
      scholar than a Tolkien one)? How about Douglas Anderson, although I don't
      know
      where he lives? How about Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, who live in
      Williamstown, Massachusetts? Come one, people, help me out here. Give us
      some more names, and don't be afraid to nominate yourselves.

      Am I the only one who's willing to be helpful about this guy's request?
      Here are some more suggestions: How about Jane Chance, who teaches at Rice
      University in Texas? How about Randel Helms, who teaches at Arizona State
      University (although he may no longer be interested in Tolkien)? How about Jared
      Lobdell, who teaches at Central Pennsylvania Business School (although he's a
      general Inklings person rather than Tolkien specifically)? Were it not for
      the fact that it was stated that a cheap keynote speaker was needed, I would
      have suggested John Garth, but a trans-Atlantic trip may be too expensive for
      the conference. Come on, some of you know the field better than I do and can
      suggest speakers better than I can.

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
        I suggest Janet B Croft!

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
          Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary to
          tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
          Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
          crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
          dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
          knowing what happened.

          Any suggestions?

          Thanks,
          Hugh
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
            A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
            the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
            Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
            give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
            the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
            who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
            would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

            DB

            At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

            >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
            >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
            >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
            >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
            >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
            >at the medieval archives there...
            >
            >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
            >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
            >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
            >
            >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
            >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
              Maybe David Emerson?

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

                Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary
                tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                knowing what happened.

                Any suggestions?

                Thanks,
                Hugh

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Hugh Davis
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                  They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
                  Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
                  seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
                  the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
                  Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
                  from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
                  how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
                  tell Edmund afterall.

                  I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                  letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
                  or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

                  Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
                  voice alone in the wilderness!

                  Hugh

                • Walkermonk@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                    In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    dianejoy@... writes:
                    I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                    and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                    there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                    I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
                    -

                    I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
                    undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

                    Grace

                  • Heather Gemmen
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Hello,

                      It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                      Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                      doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                      tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                      in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                      be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                      would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                      recognizes it.

                      Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                      hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                      is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                      events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                      dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                      the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                      pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                      Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                      this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                      don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                      read it as a stand-alone.

                      Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                      That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                      the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                      accommodate.

                      Regards,

                      Heather Gemmen
                      B.A., Calvin College 1990
                      English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                      On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                      > Message: 4
                      > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                      > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                      > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                      >
                      > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                      > demanding
                      > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                      > happen--he
                      > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                      > not be at
                      > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                      > knows the
                      > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                      > expect it
                      > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                      > suggests, given
                      > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                      > Susan and
                      > tell Edmund afterall.
                      >
                      > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                      > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                      > about it,
                      > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                      > crucifixion.
                      >
                      > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                      > was a
                      > voice alone in the wilderness!
                      >
                      > Hugh

                    • Hugh Davis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                        Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                        think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                        becauae he does feel alone.

                        While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                        self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                        sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                        is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                        has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                        lacks a purpose.

                        Hugh