Re: Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • finsen@optusnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      > First: Moderator(s), please note this deliberate (and utterly false)
      > personal attack.

      Would this qualify as a submission to Chilling-Effect?

      > Second: Cite a single instance, Graeme, where I or any of my
      > colleagues have said ANYTHING against ANYONE "using Neo-Quenya in a
      > derivative work"?

      Hmmm, manipulated from
      "noise from the Elfconners (or a single Elfconner) will be deafening :-)"
      "said ANYTHING against ANYONE "using Neo-Quenya in a derivative work"?"

      I think this would qualify as that noise that was mentioned?

      > Of course, you can't.

      Why should I cite any other example of "noise" other than this one?

      > (Although, obviously, if it is in fact a "derivative work" that NQ is
      > being used in, that is indeed a copyright matter. But I'm guessing
      > that what you actually mean to say is, "use NQ in an otherwise non-
      > derivative work".)

      So did I say "use NQ in an otherwise non-derivative work" or not, I'm trying to work out what you are trying to manipulate my text into being?

      caio
      Graeme
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie