Re: Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • finsen@optusnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      Sighhh,
      Typical Hostetterian smokescreen. Please explain where I disagree with copyright and please explain where I agree with the abuse of copyright by corporations. You can also include in there some information about where I agree that copyright should only be held by natural persons and only for their lifetime. Alternatively you can explain how I don't agree with US corporate interests pressuring foreign nations into accepting it's copyright extension.

      Since you _clearly_ know my reasoning, I will let you explain what I am trying to say. Of course I understand that you will get it wrong, but that's only because of experience :-)

      Alternatively, I could leave your atypical "leap of faith" argument technique for the strawman that it normally is.

      Next you will be telling me that I spelt "caio" wrong again and trying to explain to the world what I meant by it (not that you _ever_ done this before) :-)

      caio
      Graeme

      > Carl F. Hostetter <Aelfwine@...> wrote:
      >
      > Your argument (and the _whole_ of your argument) is that because
      > "human history worked without modern copyright for the last couple of
      > thousand years", copyright has no particular value to the workings of
      > human history. By precisely this same reasoning, this _metric_, _any_
      > innovation of law (or, really, any innovation at all) must likewise
      > be judged of no particular value to the workings of human history,
      > simply _because_ it is an innovation.
      >
      > Thus, since I have simply applied your own reasoning, it is no more a
      > straw man than your own argument. I'll leave you to decide that degree.
      >
      > On Jun 30, 2005, at 6:17 PM, finsen@... wrote:
      >
      > >> Well, Graeme, human history also "worked for the last couple of
      > >> thousand years" without constitutional democracies, child-labor laws,
      > >> independent legislatures and judiciary, science, medicine,
      > >> technology, the Internet, everyone participating in this discussion,
      > >> etc., etc., etc. Does that mean that none of these have any value
      > >> either, and should be dispensed with?
      > >>

      > > Strawman
      > >
      > > caio
      > > Graeme
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie