Re: Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • finsen@optusnet.com.au
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      > Well, Graeme, human history also "worked for the last couple of
      > thousand years" without constitutional democracies, child-labor laws,
      > independent legislatures and judiciary, science, medicine,
      > technology, the Internet, everyone participating in this discussion,
      > etc., etc., etc. Does that mean that none of these have any value
      > either, and should be dispensed with?

      Strawman

      caio
      Graeme
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie