Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      Thanks for the actual example.

      Did the Estate offer any reason for the refusal? Is it possible that
      they had already promised (re)publishing rights of those poems to
      someone else, and did not wish to interfere with that someone's own
      work?

      On Jun 30, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

> [...]
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie