Re: [mythsoc] attachemnts & HTML -- Thanks!

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      Quoting juliet@...:
      > > Also--could someone explain why all the messages from this list come as
      >
      > > attachments? Can I fix that in some way? Its a bit distracting. Thanks
      > -- Lezlie
      >

      > Check your settings for this group on Yahoo Groups. It maybe be that
      > you're
      >
      > set up to get all messages converted to HTML.

      Thanks - I got it fixed--maybe. Ended up calling my provider,as it had
      become a serious problem with a yahoo group list I moderate ("foklorist").
      They had done some such to the thing-a-ma-jig and with apologies... It's
      much better now, anyway. Now they arrive as both an inline plain text
      message *and* as an HTML attachment. :)) I can live with this, anyway. Oh,
      the wonders of technology... Lezlie

      > Julie

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

      "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      October 2001
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie