Re: Tolkien Estate/publishers and permissions/fees (was Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction)

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 30, 2005
      Quoting "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>:

      > On Jun 30, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      > > "Permissions were not so easy" doesn't mean they were necessarily

      > > refused --

      > Ah, I see. In the context of mentioning the Tolkien _Estate_ (rather
      >
      > than the publishers), I assumed the issue was one of permission, not
      >
      > fees.

      > > my experience was that they were very, very expensive, both in
      >
      > > absolute terms and compared to permissions I paid to other publishers.

      > Were the fees paid to the Estate or to the publishers? They are two
      >
      > different entities with quite different responsibilities and
      >
      > interests, after all.

      Also true of what I paid to Yeats' estate. You know, I *still* don't grudge
      them the money. I did quote a lot, and I am building my own career
      utilizing the work of another. The works in question *are* really
      valuable. If mine ever get to that point (as unlikely as that is-- :) ) it
      would be comfort to know that my child will benefit from my work long after
      I am gone. Just my opinion, mind. Lezlie

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

      "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      October 2001
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie