Permission for derivative work

  • Carol Mitchell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
      Barbara Hambly's Trek novel Ishmael actually borrowed from two television series. Apparently she wrote it without planning to publish it, and when she found that the publishers of the Star Trek novels was interested, she warned them about possible negative reactions from the people who owned the rights to the Here Come the Brides series (which never materialized) I very much enjoyed this book, and I resent the idea that I might not have been able to read it. I've read some pastiches which definitely go against the original author's viewpoint, but from my point of view, they aren't well written in other ways. I think the Wind Done Gone got a lot of publicity it didn't deserve, but if you really dislike the idea, don't read it.
      Carol Mitchell

      Chicagoland Costumer's Guild www.chicostume.org

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2005
        On Jun 30, 2005, at 1:14 PM, Carol Mitchell wrote:

        > I resent the idea that I might not have been able to read it.

        And I resent the fact that certain people in Russia -- where
        copyright is essentially non-existent -- have taken it upon
        themselves to electronically republish a great deal of my work, al in
        the name of "free access to information", without even letting me
        know, let alone asking for my permission.

        Which kind of resentment "wins"?