Re: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 29, 2005
      I would suppose that the copyright law would come into effect about such
      things. The last time I read up on it, this was 50 years after the author's
      death in the US, 70 years after the authors death in the UK.

      Some writers who have created fantasy worlds have opened their worlds and
      invited other writers to join in, some have not, and a few (IIRC) have tried
      the experiment and run into copyright problems.

      Anne

    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie