RE: [mythsoc] Fan fiction

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 29, 2005
      That's right. Dead about 600 years or more. There is a huge difference
      between invading copyright and creating (mostly) gawd-awful stuff and
      writing a good pastiche on a great piece of theater (as is "Rosenkrantz and
      Guildenstern Are Dead") as social commentary or a tribute to an author.

      Pastiche is a good way to learn to write, but most should stil be left in
      the notebook and kept quietly out of the public eye. The "fan fiction" I
      have seen just doesn't live up to the mark -- I'm with Hobbs on this one.
      Just my opinion, mind. Lezlie

      Quoting "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>:

      > Well, one thing that struck me right away was the Aule versus Feanor
      >
      > frame of mind -- the willingness to make and let go, versus the desire
      >
      > to make and keep, if I'm expressing it clearly enough.
      >

      > I don't write fiction, so I'm not really in the best position to feel
      >
      > what she feels. But should Tom Stoppard be censured for sullying
      >
      > Shakespeare's good name by writing _Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are
      >
      > Dead_? Shakespeare obviously felt it was important to leave out the
      >
      > scenes where the two friends of Hamlet's youth talk about what they've
      >
      > been asked to do, or discover the trick Hamlet plays on them -- does
      >
      > that mean no one should ever write them, or even think about them? Can
      >
      > there be a time when it's okay -- say, after the author is dead? But
      >
      > that would allow Tolkien fanfic. Dead a hundred years, a thousand years?
      >
      > Is fiction based on Homer okay? If not, we'll have to toss the Aeneid,
      >
      > won't we? Where does she want to draw the dividing line between fanfic
      >
      > and something like Ros&Guil -- or does she? What's the statute of
      >
      > limitations here?
      >

      > Janet

      "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      October 2001
    • Lezlie
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 1, 2005
        > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
        because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
        > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
        where the
        > dwarf-names came from).

        Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

        > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
        > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
        > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
        >
        > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

        Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
        and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
        not, BTW, was beside my point.

        there is also a
        > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
        and being
        > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
        retelling it
        > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
        > literary value.

        Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

        BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
        interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
        Transgression" - Lezlie