Re: [mythsoc] Keynote Speaker question

  • lezlie1@znet.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hello-- It's a long shot, but Prof. Alexander Laszlo at the California
      Institute of Integral Studies has been working on a some research concerning
      Tolkien and sustainable ecology. His email is: "Alexander Laszlo"
      <alexander@...>

      If you open the conference to other grad. students and recent grads. & send
      a call for papers, I will post it on the board for my school & send it out
      and about.

      BTW, I just subbed to this group and have been "lurking" a little, I am a
      writer, poet and independent scholar. Glad to have found you. Yours, Lezlie

      Quoting Danielle Karpouzian <tolkienwasamarxist@...>:
      > I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
      > for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
      > (getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
      > make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
      > said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in
      > Duluth at the medieval archives there...
      >

      > Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
      > (tentatively) "Applicability for Today?" and we will be having
      > panels/papers on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
      >

      > Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
      > send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >

      > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

      "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
      the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      October 2001
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
        In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:00:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        tolkienwasamarxist@... writes:

        While we are still in the early planning stages (getting a CFP together) and
        solidifying dates, I was wondering who would make a good (CHEAP) keynote
        speaker?

        I guess people here are too modest to nominate themselves. Since Tom
        Shippey turned you down because he couldn't do this trip just for this conference,
        I presume that this means that you won't be able to afford someone really
        well known or really far away and hence expensive. How about Mike Foster, who
        teaches at Illinois Central College? How about Verlyn Flieger, who teaches at
        the University of Maryland, College Park? How about Charles Huttar, who
        teaches at Hope College in Michigan (although he's more of a general Inklings
        scholar than a Tolkien one)? How about Douglas Anderson, although I don't know
        where he lives? How about Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, who live in
        Williamstown, Massachusetts? Come one, people, help me out here. Give us some
        more names, and don't be afraid to nominate yourselves.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
          In a message dated 6/30/2005 10:37:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

[...]

          Am I the only one who's willing to be helpful about this guy's request?
          Here are some more suggestions: How about Jane Chance, who teaches at Rice
          University in Texas? How about Randel Helms, who teaches at Arizona State
          University (although he may no longer be interested in Tolkien)? How about Jared
          Lobdell, who teaches at Central Pennsylvania Business School (although he's a
          general Inklings person rather than Tolkien specifically)? Were it not for
          the fact that it was stated that a cheap keynote speaker was needed, I would
          have suggested John Garth, but a trans-Atlantic trip may be too expensive for
          the conference. Come on, some of you know the field better than I do and can
          suggest speakers better than I can.

        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
            I suggest Janet B Croft!

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Hugh Davis
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
              Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary to
              tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
              Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
              crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
              dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
              knowing what happened.

              Any suggestions?

              Thanks,
              Hugh
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
                A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
                the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
                Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
                give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
                the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
                who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
                would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

                DB

                At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

                >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
                >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
                >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
                >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
                >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
                >at the medieval archives there...
                >
                >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
                >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
                >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
                >
                >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
                >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Maybe David Emerson?

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                    I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                    and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                    there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                    I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

                    Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary
                    tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                    Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                    crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                    dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                    knowing what happened.

                    Any suggestions?

                    Thanks,
                    Hugh

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • Hugh Davis
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                      They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
                      Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
                      seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
                      the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
                      Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
                      from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
                      how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
                      tell Edmund afterall.

                      I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                      letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
                      or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

                      Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
                      voice alone in the wilderness!

                      Hugh

                    • Walkermonk@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                        In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        dianejoy@... writes:
                        I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                        and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                        there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                        I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
                        -

                        I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
                        undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

                        Grace

                      • Heather Gemmen
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
                          Hello,

                          It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                          Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                          doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                          tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                          in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                          be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                          would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                          recognizes it.

                          Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                          hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                          is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                          events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                          dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                          the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                          pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                          Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                          this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                          don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                          read it as a stand-alone.

                          Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                          That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                          the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                          accommodate.

                          Regards,

                          Heather Gemmen
                          B.A., Calvin College 1990
                          English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                          On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                          > Message: 4
                          > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                          > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                          > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                          >
                          > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                          > demanding
                          > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                          > happen--he
                          > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                          > not be at
                          > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                          > knows the
                          > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                          > expect it
                          > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                          > suggests, given
                          > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                          > Susan and
                          > tell Edmund afterall.
                          >
                          > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                          > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                          > about it,
                          > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                          > crucifixion.
                          >
                          > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                          > was a
                          > voice alone in the wilderness!
                          >
                          > Hugh

                        • Hugh Davis
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                            Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                            think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                            becauae he does feel alone.

                            While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                            self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                            sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                            is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                            has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                            lacks a purpose.

                            Hugh