Keynote Speaker question

  • Danielle Karpouzian
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
      I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages (getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth at the medieval archives there...

      Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be (tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers on film as well as Tolkien's literature...

      Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
        Hello-- It's a long shot, but Prof. Alexander Laszlo at the California
        Institute of Integral Studies has been working on a some research concerning
        Tolkien and sustainable ecology. His email is: "Alexander Laszlo"
        <alexander@...>

        If you open the conference to other grad. students and recent grads. & send
        a call for papers, I will post it on the board for my school & send it out
        and about.

        BTW, I just subbed to this group and have been "lurking" a little, I am a
        writer, poet and independent scholar. Glad to have found you. Yours, Lezlie

        Quoting Danielle Karpouzian <tolkienwasamarxist@...>:
        > I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
        > for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
        > (getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
        > make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
        > said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in
        > Duluth at the medieval archives there...
        >

        > Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
        > (tentatively) "Applicability for Today?" and we will be having
        > panels/papers on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
        >

        > Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
        > send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

        "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
        calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
        request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
        like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
        the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
        cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
        the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
        also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
        his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
        October 2001
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
          In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:00:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          tolkienwasamarxist@... writes:

          While we are still in the early planning stages (getting a CFP together) and
          solidifying dates, I was wondering who would make a good (CHEAP) keynote
          speaker?

          I guess people here are too modest to nominate themselves. Since Tom
          Shippey turned you down because he couldn't do this trip just for this conference,
          I presume that this means that you won't be able to afford someone really
          well known or really far away and hence expensive. How about Mike Foster, who
          teaches at Illinois Central College? How about Verlyn Flieger, who teaches at
          the University of Maryland, College Park? How about Charles Huttar, who
          teaches at Hope College in Michigan (although he's more of a general Inklings
          scholar than a Tolkien one)? How about Douglas Anderson, although I don't know
          where he lives? How about Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, who live in
          Williamstown, Massachusetts? Come one, people, help me out here. Give us some
          more names, and don't be afraid to nominate yourselves.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
            In a message dated 6/30/2005 10:37:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

[...]

            Am I the only one who's willing to be helpful about this guy's request?
            Here are some more suggestions: How about Jane Chance, who teaches at Rice
            University in Texas? How about Randel Helms, who teaches at Arizona State
            University (although he may no longer be interested in Tolkien)? How about Jared
            Lobdell, who teaches at Central Pennsylvania Business School (although he's a
            general Inklings person rather than Tolkien specifically)? Were it not for
            the fact that it was stated that a cheap keynote speaker was needed, I would
            have suggested John Garth, but a trans-Atlantic trip may be too expensive for
            the conference. Come on, some of you know the field better than I do and can
            suggest speakers better than I can.

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 1 6:21 AM
              I suggest Janet B Croft!

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 1 2:56 PM
                Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary to
                tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                knowing what happened.

                Any suggestions?

                Thanks,
                Hugh
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 2 2:05 AM
                  A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
                  the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
                  Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
                  give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
                  the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
                  who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
                  would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

                  DB

                  At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

                  >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
                  >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
                  >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
                  >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
                  >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
                  >at the medieval archives there...
                  >
                  >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
                  >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
                  >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
                  >
                  >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
                  >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 2 3:19 PM
                    Maybe David Emerson?

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 4 8:10 AM
                      I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                      and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                      there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                      I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

                      Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary
                      tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                      Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                      crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                      dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                      knowing what happened.

                      Any suggestions?

                      Thanks,
                      Hugh

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                    • Hugh Davis
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4 8:57 AM
                        They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
                        Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
                        seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
                        the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
                        Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
                        from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
                        how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
                        tell Edmund afterall.

                        I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                        letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
                        or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

                        Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
                        voice alone in the wilderness!

                        Hugh

                      • Walkermonk@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4 9:39 AM
                          In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          dianejoy@... writes:
                          I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                          and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                          there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                          I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
                          -

                          I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
                          undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

                          Grace

                        • Heather Gemmen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 7 11:51 AM
                            Hello,

                            It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                            Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                            doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                            tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                            in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                            be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                            would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                            recognizes it.

                            Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                            hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                            is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                            events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                            dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                            the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                            pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                            Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                            this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                            don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                            read it as a stand-alone.

                            Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                            That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                            the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                            accommodate.

                            Regards,

                            Heather Gemmen
                            B.A., Calvin College 1990
                            English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                            On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            > Message: 4
                            > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                            > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                            > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                            >
                            > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                            > demanding
                            > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                            > happen--he
                            > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                            > not be at
                            > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                            > knows the
                            > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                            > expect it
                            > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                            > suggests, given
                            > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                            > Susan and
                            > tell Edmund afterall.
                            >
                            > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                            > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                            > about it,
                            > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                            > crucifixion.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                            > was a
                            > voice alone in the wilderness!
                            >
                            > Hugh

                          • Hugh Davis
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 10 6:27 PM
                              Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                              think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                              becauae he does feel alone.

                              While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                              self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                              sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                              is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                              has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                              lacks a purpose.

                              Hugh