Re: [mythsoc] CS Lewis and the "Committee revising Ancient and Modern [Hymns]"

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 25, 2005
      From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
      To: <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 10:24 AM
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] CS Lewis and the "Committee revising Ancient and
      Modern [Hymns]"

      > >From: Vincent Ferré <ferretolk@...>
      > >In one of his letters (n° 90, november 1944) , J.R.R. Tolkien mentions
      the
      > >"Committee revising Ancient and Modern [Hymns]" of which C.S. Lewis is a
      > >member.
      > >I could not find any information about this committee - which I need to
      > >translate properly this expression. Does anyone know to what it refers ?

      "Hymns Ancient and Modern" is the actual name of the collection, which is or
      was used in many Church of England parishes. I believe it's been out of
      fashion for a long time; I seem to remember however using it in a small,
      financially-limited parish in Southern Africa, about 25 years ago.

      Here is a very interesting page about the collection (originating in the
      19th Century) and its contents:

      http://www.smithcreekmusic.com/Hymnology/British.Hymnody/HymnsA&M.html

      I had vaguely thought Lewis was on a committee for the revision of the
      Psalter (found in the back of the Church of England's Book of Common
      Prayer). I wonder if Tolkien was correct about the committee for Hymns A&M.

      > Unfortunately, I don't know anything about this, but I'd like to hear what
      > is discovered. I was under the impression (although I don't know that I
      have
      > a specific citation in mind) that Lewis did not care for the Anglican
      > Hymnal. Was this the case? Does anyone know what hymns he would have
      known?

      After years and years of compulsory chapels in youth and later churchgoing,
      he would have known a great many, unless he managed to shut them out; "Hymns
      were (and are) extremely disagreeable to me." - Surprised by Joy, Ch.XV.

      > I'm curious if he knew "Sing, my tongue, the glorious battle," for one.

      According to this page, that is one of those in HYMNS ANCIENT AND MODERN:

      http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/amstd.html
      http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s164.html

      A webpage I found shows that he knew this one, wh he quoted in REFLECTIONS
      ON THE PSALMS:

      >there was no other 'good enough to pay the price'
      » From the hymn 'There is a green hill far away', No. 332 in Hymns Ancient
      and Modern.

      http://www.solcon.nl/arendsmilde/cslewis/reflections/e-psalmsquotes.htm

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 25, 2005
        Thank you. That's good information and a good site.

        Hugh

      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 25, 2005
          I have a query about a point in LWW. In re-reading the novel, I am curious
          why Edmund isn't told of the sacrifice Aslan makes in his place. I know the
          argument Susan offers ("wouldn't you feel awful if you were in his place?"),
          and I think when I first read this and was much younger I just accepted
          that. But why shouldn't Edmund be told? I know Aslan says when the siblings
          are first reunited that there need not be any talk about that which has
          already passed, and I can see this being carried out in the same manner, but
          I am left with the question of why.

          In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests that Lucy does tell Edmund
          at some point, given how Edmund acts as he grows older, but we have no proof
          either way.

          Can anyone answer why Lewis leaves this unclear?

          Thanks,
          Hugh Davis
        • Vincent Ferré
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2005
            Thank you _very_ much, David and Diamond...

            Vincent

          • Stolzi
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 26, 2005
              You're welcome, Vincent!

              I still keep thinking that CSL would not have joined any Committee like
              that. Not with his views on hymns, and not during the War when he was busy
              as possible with so many other things...

              MS
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 26, 2005
                It is possible that Tolkien was mistaken about what committee Lewis was
                actually a member of.

                However, there's no notes on this subject to the published letter, and it's
                not Vincent's job as translator to do original research. He merely needs
                to know what Tolkien's phrase "Committee revising Ancient and Modern" means
                grammatically so that he may translate it accurately, and I think we've
                answered that one.

                DB
              • Danielle Karpouzian
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
                  I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages (getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth at the medieval archives there...

                  Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be (tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers on film as well as Tolkien's literature...

                  Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 29, 2005
                    Hello-- It's a long shot, but Prof. Alexander Laszlo at the California
                    Institute of Integral Studies has been working on a some research concerning
                    Tolkien and sustainable ecology. His email is: "Alexander Laszlo"
                    <alexander@...>

                    If you open the conference to other grad. students and recent grads. & send
                    a call for papers, I will post it on the board for my school & send it out
                    and about.

                    BTW, I just subbed to this group and have been "lurking" a little, I am a
                    writer, poet and independent scholar. Glad to have found you. Yours, Lezlie

                    Quoting Danielle Karpouzian <tolkienwasamarxist@...>:
                    > I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
                    > for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
                    > (getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
                    > make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
                    > said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in
                    > Duluth at the medieval archives there...
                    >

                    > Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
                    > (tentatively) "Applicability for Today?" and we will be having
                    > panels/papers on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
                    >

                    > Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
                    > send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...

                    > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                    >

                    > Visit your group "mythsoc" on the web.

                    "...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
                    calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
                    request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
                    like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
                    the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
                    cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer to
                    the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
                    also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
                    his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
                    October 2001
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
                      In a message dated 6/29/2005 11:00:40 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      tolkienwasamarxist@... writes:

                      While we are still in the early planning stages (getting a CFP together) and
                      solidifying dates, I was wondering who would make a good (CHEAP) keynote
                      speaker?

                      I guess people here are too modest to nominate themselves. Since Tom
                      Shippey turned you down because he couldn't do this trip just for this conference,
                      I presume that this means that you won't be able to afford someone really
                      well known or really far away and hence expensive. How about Mike Foster, who
                      teaches at Illinois Central College? How about Verlyn Flieger, who teaches at
                      the University of Maryland, College Park? How about Charles Huttar, who
                      teaches at Hope College in Michigan (although he's more of a general Inklings
                      scholar than a Tolkien one)? How about Douglas Anderson, although I don't know
                      where he lives? How about Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond, who live in
                      Williamstown, Massachusetts? Come one, people, help me out here. Give us some
                      more names, and don't be afraid to nominate yourselves.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 30, 2005
                        In a message dated 6/30/2005 10:37:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        WendellWag@... writes:

[...]

                        Am I the only one who's willing to be helpful about this guy's request?
                        Here are some more suggestions: How about Jane Chance, who teaches at Rice
                        University in Texas? How about Randel Helms, who teaches at Arizona State
                        University (although he may no longer be interested in Tolkien)? How about Jared
                        Lobdell, who teaches at Central Pennsylvania Business School (although he's a
                        general Inklings person rather than Tolkien specifically)? Were it not for
                        the fact that it was stated that a cheap keynote speaker was needed, I would
                        have suggested John Garth, but a trans-Atlantic trip may be too expensive for
                        the conference. Come on, some of you know the field better than I do and can
                        suggest speakers better than I can.

                      • Stolzi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
                          I suggest Janet B Croft!

                          Diamond Proudbrook
                        • Hugh Davis
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 1, 2005
                            Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary to
                            tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                            Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                            crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                            dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                            knowing what happened.

                            Any suggestions?

                            Thanks,
                            Hugh
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
                              A keynote speaker is one who sets the theme, and need not necessarily be
                              the top scholar present. (A keynote speaker is not the same as a Guest of
                              Honor.) Conferences I've attended with keynote speakers usually have them
                              give general, introductory addresses and leave the technical wizardry to
                              the papers sessions. I imagine there are people in our Twin Cities group
                              who'd be very good keynote speakers, who'd have good things to say that
                              would be scholarly too, and who'd be quite easy to get.

                              DB

                              At 07:11 AM 6/29/2005 -0700, Danielle Karpouzian wrote:

                              >I am in grad school in Mankato, MN and am organizing a Tolkien conference
                              >for Spring Semester. While we are still in the early planning stages
                              >(getting a CFP together) and solidifying dates, I was wondering who would
                              >make a good (CHEAP) keynote speaker? I have emailed Tom Shippey, and he
                              >said that the drive would be too far unless he was going to be up in Duluth
                              >at the medieval archives there...
                              >
                              >Does anyone have any other suggestions? Our focus is going to be
                              >(tentitavely) "Applicibility for Today?" and we will be having panels/papers
                              >on film as well as Tolkien's literature...
                              >
                              >Also, if anyone is interested in submitting, I will be more than happy to
                              >send out a CFP when we have gotten that far...
                            • Berni Phillips
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 2, 2005
                                Maybe David Emerson?

                              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                                  I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                                  and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                                  there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                                  I may be remembering wrong. ---djb

                                  Can anyone help me with a question from LWW? Why is it deemed unnecessary
                                  tell Edmund about Aslan's sacrifice at the stone table? It seems that, if
                                  Aslan's death and resurrection show the Narnian equivalent to Christ's
                                  crucifixion and resurrection in our world, then Edmund, as the human Aslan
                                  dies in the stead of, would be best able to react to that sacrifice by
                                  knowing what happened.

                                  Any suggestions?

                                  Thanks,
                                  Hugh

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                                • Hugh Davis
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                                    They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and demanding
                                    Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things happen--he
                                    seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may not be at
                                    the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan knows the
                                    Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could expect it
                                    from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests, given
                                    how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against Susan and
                                    tell Edmund afterall.

                                    I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                                    letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked about it,
                                    or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the crucifixion.

                                    Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I was a
                                    voice alone in the wilderness!

                                    Hugh

                                  • Walkermonk@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 4, 2005
                                      In a message dated 7/4/2005 10:17:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                      dianejoy@... writes:
                                      I have a feeling that CSL wanted to simplify the theological issues here,
                                      and keep Edmund's "conversion" largely off stage. I seem to recall that
                                      there's a place where Lewis said that Aslan and Edmund had a long talk, but
                                      I may be remembering wrong. ---djb
                                      -

                                      I know Edmund is aware of *something* because of his conversation with the
                                      undragoned Eustace in "Dawn Treader."

                                      Grace

                                    • Heather Gemmen
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 7, 2005
                                        Hello,

                                        It seems to me that Edmund is an Adam figure who will learn about
                                        Aslan's sacrifice through the course of time; Edmund as a person
                                        doesn't have the intellectual ability to grasp "sacrifice" if someone
                                        tells him about it, as he is completely self-centered at this stage
                                        in his development. As an Adam figure should be. Therefore, it would
                                        be pointless for Edmund to be told about Aslan's sacrifice, as Edmund
                                        would discount it out of hand; it's just his personality, and Aslan
                                        recognizes it.

                                        Aslan's uncertitude seems also fear, as Jesus was fearful in the
                                        hours leading up to his own death. Even to a devout Christian, doubt
                                        is a part of belief. I interpret Aslan's apprehension of future
                                        events to be similar to Christ's, who knew what would transpire but
                                        dreaded it nonetheless. In our world Jesus was abandoned by God on
                                        the cross, and when I imagined Aslan's body lying cold on the stone I
                                        pictured him as completely separate from his faraway father as well.

                                        Aslan seems to go through the "Mount of Olives meditations" before
                                        this scene. I re-read some of these scenes a number of times and I
                                        don't think I could make sense of them if I isolated one scene and
                                        read it as a stand-alone.

                                        Sorry this contribution to the Edmund discussion came a little late.
                                        That's a problem with mobile computing--you can bring your laptop to
                                        the cottage but you can't find a 45-mile-long Ethernet cable to
                                        accommodate.

                                        Regards,

                                        Heather Gemmen
                                        B.A., Calvin College 1990
                                        English Masters of Arts Program, Grand Valley State University

                                        On Jul 5, 2005, at 6:58 AM, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                        > Message: 4
                                        > Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:57:41 -0400
                                        > From: "Hugh Davis" <HughHDavis@...>
                                        > Subject: RE: Query about Edmund
                                        >
                                        > They do have a long talk, prior to the White Witch coming and
                                        > demanding
                                        > Edmund's blood. It's debatable how much Aslan knows before things
                                        > happen--he
                                        > seems unsure heading to the stone table and has told Peter he may
                                        > not be at
                                        > the battle the next day--so it's left unclear whether or not Aslan
                                        > knows the
                                        > Witch will come and make this claim (although presumably he could
                                        > expect it
                                        > from one like her). In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford
                                        > suggests, given
                                        > how Edmund acts as he matures, that Lucy might win out against
                                        > Susan and
                                        > tell Edmund afterall.
                                        >
                                        > I was curious if those more familiar with Lewis' personal writings and
                                        > letters knew if he had ever commented on this scene, or been asked
                                        > about it,
                                        > or if it could relate to his own views of the sacrifice in the
                                        > crucifixion.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks, Diane, by the way, for the reply--I was starting to fear I
                                        > was a
                                        > voice alone in the wilderness!
                                        >
                                        > Hugh

                                      • Hugh Davis
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 10, 2005
                                          Thank you for your response. I agree with your interpretation of Aslan. I
                                          think there's a measure of fear and uncertainty together there, precisely
                                          becauae he does feel alone.

                                          While I agree Edmund is an Adam figure in many ways, he is less-and-less
                                          self-centered as the novel progresses, and I am not sure he couldn't grasp
                                          sacrifice if told about it. When reminded how fearful he is when the witch
                                          is calling for his blood, he should understand the importance of what Aslan
                                          has done. I can see it would be difficult, but I don't know that telling him
                                          lacks a purpose.

                                          Hugh