Re: [mythsoc] Need help remembering a title SF

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
      In a message dated 6/11/2005 4:18:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      My guess (since I haven't read them myself) is: The Ballad of Beta-2/Empire
      Star, by Samuel R. Delany.

      The blurb for _The Ballad of Beta-2_ says ". . . Joneny, a student of
      galactic anthropology, is given the assignment of finding the meaning behind the
      ballad of a starship lost centuries before." The blurb for _Empire Star_ says
      ". . . Comet Jo, the cat-bodied star-wanderer . . . meets, in his travels:
      the Lump, a half-alien, half-machine; Ni Ty Lee, the suicidal poet of the stars;
      the strange multiple consciousness called Jewel . . ." Does any of that
      sound familiar? I haven't read it either. My copy (from 1965) isn't in the
      one-story-going-one-direction-one-story-another-direction-when-flipped-over
      format. It's just one story after the other in a single paperback.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
        Yes, that's them !! Thanks David & Wendell.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        amor vincit omnia
        lizziewriter (at) optonline.net & yahoo.com
        (closing earthlink account soon)
        <http://www.lizziewriter.com/> www.lizziewriter.com (See my ad in
        Contemporary Doll Collector magazine)
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        _____

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
          .... as for the flip-flop issue, it is entirely likely that I am merging
          memories of other titles which did do that with this one which I guess did
          not. Didn't Lion of Comarre and Against the Fall of Night do that?

          BTW the stories are not as weird as the blurb... they ARE weird, but they do
          read well and engagingly.

          thanks again,

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
            According to the information at <http://isfdb.tamu.edu/acedoubles.html>, it
            appears that Delany's "Ballad of Beta-2" and "Empire Star" were not
            published together until 1973. (Knowing Ace practice, this could easily
            have been without giving any date subsequent to the original publication
            date of 1965.)

            "The Ballad of Beta-2", which certainly sounds like one of the stories
            Lizzie is discussing, was originally paired back-to-back with "Alpha Yes,
            Terra No!" by Emil Petaja.

            David Bratman
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
              In a message dated 6/12/2005 12:57:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              According to the information at <http://isfdb.tamu.edu/acedoubles.html>, it
              appears that Delany's "Ballad of Beta-2" and "Empire Star" were not
              published together until 1973. (Knowing Ace practice, this could easily
              have been without giving any date subsequent to the original publication
              date of 1965.)

              That may well be. I just noticed that _Empire Star_ and _The Ballad of
              Beta-2_ have separate copyright pages in my copy of the book, the first saying
              it's from 1966 and the second from 1965. This does look more like a 1970's
              printing than a 1960's printing.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
                In a message dated 6/12/2005 10:28:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                lizziewriter@... writes:

                .... as for the flip-flop issue, it is entirely likely that I am merging
                memories of other titles which did do that with this one which I guess did
                not. Didn't Lion of Comarre and Against the Fall of Night do that?

                It may be that there was a flip-flop edition in the 1960's. My copy is from
                the 1970's. The copy you read may be from the 1960's.