Need help remembering a title SF

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2005
      Hi all,

      Can anyone help me remember a book title? It's space-opera sci-fi, and if
      anyone wants to ask the mythic angle I'll say, hmm, well, even though we
      humans don't really hang around in space you'd never know it from all the
      "things everyone knows" about life in space. Our minds exist in space even
      if our bodies don't. ANd we think the video-gaming kids are out of touch
      with reality.

      Anyway, I think I am thinking of a two-title flip-paperback similar to A.C.
      Clarke's Lion of Comarre and Against the Fall of Night. This tltle had one
      side that had a riddle about space, and the protagonist was a female
      spaceship pilot who goes out and, er, meets a space being that can travel
      through space w/o benefit of a ship. There is a poem riddle, and there is a
      story motif about losing up/down references so arms and legs in the verse
      are interchangeable.

      The other story, which I remember as being in the same binding, but I may
      only have read at the same time (and I do not think that they were yellow
      DAW ppbks but rather older) was very very odd... it had people going round
      and round in time and something about a penal colony planet and something
      else about geometry, or at least geometric vocabulary. S.R. Delany was my
      second guess as to author, but I have searched a couple of sites under
      Clarke and Delany, and Googled what I could remember of the verse, with no
      luck.

      Hope everyone is having a good spring (or fall, depending where you are).

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      amor vincit omnia
      lizziewriter (at) optonline.net & yahoo.com
      (closing earthlink account soon)
      <http://www.lizziewriter.com/> www.lizziewriter.com (See my ad in
      Contemporary Doll Collector magazine)
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
        My guess (since I haven't read them myself) is: The Ballad of Beta-2/Empire
        Star, by Samuel R. Delany.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
          In a message dated 6/11/2005 4:18:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          My guess (since I haven't read them myself) is: The Ballad of Beta-2/Empire
          Star, by Samuel R. Delany.

          The blurb for _The Ballad of Beta-2_ says ". . . Joneny, a student of
          galactic anthropology, is given the assignment of finding the meaning behind the
          ballad of a starship lost centuries before." The blurb for _Empire Star_ says
          ". . . Comet Jo, the cat-bodied star-wanderer . . . meets, in his travels:
          the Lump, a half-alien, half-machine; Ni Ty Lee, the suicidal poet of the stars;
          the strange multiple consciousness called Jewel . . ." Does any of that
          sound familiar? I haven't read it either. My copy (from 1965) isn't in the
          one-story-going-one-direction-one-story-another-direction-when-flipped-over
          format. It's just one story after the other in a single paperback.

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
              .... as for the flip-flop issue, it is entirely likely that I am merging
              memories of other titles which did do that with this one which I guess did
              not. Didn't Lion of Comarre and Against the Fall of Night do that?

              BTW the stories are not as weird as the blurb... they ARE weird, but they do
              read well and engagingly.

              thanks again,

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 11, 2005
                According to the information at <http://isfdb.tamu.edu/acedoubles.html>, it
                appears that Delany's "Ballad of Beta-2" and "Empire Star" were not
                published together until 1973. (Knowing Ace practice, this could easily
                have been without giving any date subsequent to the original publication
                date of 1965.)

                "The Ballad of Beta-2", which certainly sounds like one of the stories
                Lizzie is discussing, was originally paired back-to-back with "Alpha Yes,
                Terra No!" by Emil Petaja.

                David Bratman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
                  In a message dated 6/12/2005 12:57:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  According to the information at <http://isfdb.tamu.edu/acedoubles.html>, it
                  appears that Delany's "Ballad of Beta-2" and "Empire Star" were not
                  published together until 1973. (Knowing Ace practice, this could easily
                  have been without giving any date subsequent to the original publication
                  date of 1965.)

                  That may well be. I just noticed that _Empire Star_ and _The Ballad of
                  Beta-2_ have separate copyright pages in my copy of the book, the first saying
                  it's from 1966 and the second from 1965. This does look more like a 1970's
                  printing than a 1960's printing.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
                    In a message dated 6/12/2005 10:28:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    lizziewriter@... writes:

                    .... as for the flip-flop issue, it is entirely likely that I am merging
                    memories of other titles which did do that with this one which I guess did
                    not. Didn't Lion of Comarre and Against the Fall of Night do that?

                    It may be that there was a flip-flop edition in the 1960's. My copy is from
                    the 1970's. The copy you read may be from the 1960's.