RE: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien on Film: critique (long) [repeat]

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2005
      Two articles in the new Vol II of "Tolkien Studies" is relevant to the
      whole issue of empire and colonization:

      Ford, Judy Ann. "The White City: The Lord of the Rings as an Early
      Medieval Myth of the Restoration of the Roman Empire." 2: 53-73.

      Hoiem, Elizabeth Massa. "World Creation as Colonization: British
      Imperialism in "Aldarion and Erendis." 2: 75-92.

      Cheers,

      Beth
    • saraciborski
      Message 2 of 14 , May 31, 2005
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Beth Russell" <russells@s...> wrote:

        > Two articles in the new Vol II of "Tolkien Studies" is relevant to the
        > whole issue of empire and colonization:
        >
        > Ford, Judy Ann. "The White City: The Lord of the Rings as an Early
        > Medieval Myth of the Restoration of the Roman Empire." 2: 53-73.
        >
        > Hoiem, Elizabeth Massa. "World Creation as Colonization: British
        > Imperialism in "Aldarion and Erendis." 2: 75-92.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Beth

        What is and where does one find "Tolkien Studies"? I recall seeing
        something about this (a new journal?) among the posts I scanned before
        I recently joined. If someone has a quick answer--I'd be grateful.
        Otherwise I'll look it up on the web.
        Thanks,
        Sara Ciborski
        Message 3 of 14 , May 31, 2005
          Tolkien Studies is an annual journal/review whose second issue has just
          appeared. If you click on <http://tolkienstudies.org>, that should take
          you through to the page for the new issue on the website of the publisher
          (West Virginia University Press). As a hardcover annual scholarly journal,
          it is alas rather expensive, but those of us who have something to do with
          it hope that readers will find the material interesting.

          At 12:15 AM 6/1/2005 +0000, Sara Ciborski wrote:
          >What is and where does one find "Tolkien Studies"? I recall seeing
          >something about this (a new journal?) among the posts I scanned before
          >I recently joined. If someone has a quick answer--I'd be grateful.
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
            Sara, if you're connected to a university or college library that gets
            the database Project Muse, you can get Tolkien Studies online.

            Janet Brennan Croft

            > Two articles in the new Vol II of "Tolkien Studies" is relevant to the

            > whole issue of empire and colonization:
            >
            > Ford, Judy Ann. "The White City: The Lord of the Rings as an Early
            > Medieval Myth of the Restoration of the Roman Empire." 2: 53-73.
            >
            > Hoiem, Elizabeth Massa. "World Creation as Colonization: British
            > Imperialism in "Aldarion and Erendis." 2: 75-92.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Beth

            What is and where does one find "Tolkien Studies"? I recall seeing
            something about this (a new journal?) among the posts I scanned before I
            recently joined. If someone has a quick answer--I'd be grateful.
            Otherwise I'll look it up on the web.
            Thanks,
            Sara Ciborski

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM

            Links
          • saraciborski
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- Thank you!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                --- I'm not, currently, but my daughter is a librarian at a
                university--I'll see if she can do something for me. Thanks.

                In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
                > Sara, if you're connected to a university or college library that
                gets
                > the database Project Muse, you can get Tolkien Studies online.
                >

                > Janet Brennan Croft

                ~-->
                > What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
                > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM
                ~->

                > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org Yahoo! Groups
                > Links
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
                  I recall reading a C.S. Lewis remark/quote to the effect that one
                  benefit of a career as a teacher is that it gave him so many friends who
                  were younger than he was.

                  Please, can anyone place this quote with a cite? I thought it was in
                  Jack but if it, so far it's been elusive.

                  Thanks for any help,
                  Mike