Re: [mythsoc] Revenge of the Sith and the Jedi

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2005
      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      >Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
      >doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
      >which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
      >entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

      It might explain them in the sense that Lucas gave way to what he thought
      was fun and popular instead of well-considered. When Phantom Menace was
      released, many compared the pod-racing with Quidditch games from Harry
      Potter--perhaps Lucas thought he had found something similar to those, and
      that is why he went for that part of the spectable.

      >The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
      >Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
      >Luke did.

      David I think you are right about this. Personally, the idea that the
      student turned on the teacher is a more expected archetype, and I think that
      was his actual plan.

      Hugh
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2005
        But Hugh, that may explain the drag, um, pod racing scene, but it doesn't
        explain the rest of the movie.

        "Exciting? No it's _not_. It's dull. Dull. _Dull._ My God it's dull,
        it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and
        des-per-ate-ly DULL." - Monty Python
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2005
          Fair enough--I'm not trying to defend it, by any means.