Re: [mythsoc] Revenge of the Sith and the Jedi

    Message 1 of 13 , May 28 11:40 AM
      At 08:26 AM 5/28/2005 -0700, Matthew Winslow wrote:

      >a film-critic friend of mine has
      >posted some interesting quotes from Lucas from the time of the making
      >of Empire. From these quotes, it sounds more like Lucas caved in to
      >popularity and what he believed made a fun movie, rather than sticking
      >to his story as he originally conceived it. Had he done so, would we
      >have better films? Who knows.

      Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
      doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
      which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
      entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

      The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
      Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
      Luke did.

      David Bratman
    • Hugh Davis
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28 11:51 AM
        >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
        >Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
        >doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
        >which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
        >entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

        It might explain them in the sense that Lucas gave way to what he thought
        was fun and popular instead of well-considered. When Phantom Menace was
        released, many compared the pod-racing with Quidditch games from Harry
        Potter--perhaps Lucas thought he had found something similar to those, and
        that is why he went for that part of the spectable.

        >The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
        >Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
        >Luke did.

        David I think you are right about this. Personally, the idea that the
        student turned on the teacher is a more expected archetype, and I think that
        was his actual plan.

        Hugh
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28 12:47 PM
          But Hugh, that may explain the drag, um, pod racing scene, but it doesn't
          explain the rest of the movie.

          "Exciting? No it's _not_. It's dull. Dull. _Dull._ My God it's dull,
          it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and
          des-per-ate-ly DULL." - Monty Python
        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28 12:59 PM
            Fair enough--I'm not trying to defend it, by any means.