Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien and Imperialism

  • Sara Ciborski
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28, 2005
      Most of my additional thoughts are in my reply to Janet's post. I'm glad you note the very un-imperialistic quality of Aragorn's kingship, as I have omitted that aspect. But it provides another example of Smyth's distortion. Tolkien made it clear that Aragorn's rule was to be benevolent, enlightened, with neither the political domination nor economic exploitation usually associated with imperialism. The film, however, might readily appear (to someone looking for it) to promote a view of imperialism since it excludes these indications about the future and because of its protracted and relentless focus on military conquest.

      Yes, in this case I think the author was stretching quite far to make a point.

      Sara Ciborski