Re: [mythsoc] Revenge of the Sith and the Jedi

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28 8:26 AM
      On 5/27/05, Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...> wrote:
      > Well, thanks. I wish it were different, but I fear you're right.

      Not to bludgeon this dying horse, but a film-critic friend of mine has
      posted some interesting quotes from Lucas from the time of the making
      of Empire. From these quotes, it sounds more like Lucas caved in to
      popularity and what he believed made a fun movie, rather than sticking
      to his story as he originally conceived it. Had he done so, would we
      have better films? Who knows.

      http://filmchatblog.blogspot.com/2005/05/why-i-do-not-consider-star-wars.html

      --
      Matthew Winslow
      mwinslow@...

      Currently Reading: I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28 11:40 AM
        At 08:26 AM 5/28/2005 -0700, Matthew Winslow wrote:

        >a film-critic friend of mine has
        >posted some interesting quotes from Lucas from the time of the making
        >of Empire. From these quotes, it sounds more like Lucas caved in to
        >popularity and what he believed made a fun movie, rather than sticking
        >to his story as he originally conceived it. Had he done so, would we
        >have better films? Who knows.

        Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
        doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
        which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
        entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

        The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
        Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
        Luke did.

        David Bratman
      • Hugh Davis
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28 11:51 AM
          >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
          >Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
          >doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
          >which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
          >entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

          It might explain them in the sense that Lucas gave way to what he thought
          was fun and popular instead of well-considered. When Phantom Menace was
          released, many compared the pod-racing with Quidditch games from Harry
          Potter--perhaps Lucas thought he had found something similar to those, and
          that is why he went for that part of the spectable.

          >The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
          >Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
          >Luke did.

          David I think you are right about this. Personally, the idea that the
          student turned on the teacher is a more expected archetype, and I think that
          was his actual plan.

          Hugh
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28 12:47 PM
            But Hugh, that may explain the drag, um, pod racing scene, but it doesn't
            explain the rest of the movie.

            "Exciting? No it's _not_. It's dull. Dull. _Dull._ My God it's dull,
            it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and
            des-per-ate-ly DULL." - Monty Python
          • Hugh Davis
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28 12:59 PM
              Fair enough--I'm not trying to defend it, by any means.