Re: [mythsoc] Revenge of the Sith and the Jedi

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , May 27, 2005
      Well, thanks. I wish it were different, but I fear you're right.

      >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      >To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Revenge of the Sith and the Jedi
      >Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:42:07 -0700
      >
      >No, Hugh. The problem isn't that you spent too much time on this. The
      >problem is that George Lucas spent too little.
      >
      >DB

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2005
        On 5/27/05, Hugh Davis <HughHDavis@...> wrote:
        > Well, thanks. I wish it were different, but I fear you're right.

        Not to bludgeon this dying horse, but a film-critic friend of mine has
        posted some interesting quotes from Lucas from the time of the making
        of Empire. From these quotes, it sounds more like Lucas caved in to
        popularity and what he believed made a fun movie, rather than sticking
        to his story as he originally conceived it. Had he done so, would we
        have better films? Who knows.

        http://filmchatblog.blogspot.com/2005/05/why-i-do-not-consider-star-wars.html

        --
        Matthew Winslow
        mwinslow@...

        Currently Reading: I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole
        Message 3 of 13 , May 28, 2005
          At 08:26 AM 5/28/2005 -0700, Matthew Winslow wrote:

          >a film-critic friend of mine has
          >posted some interesting quotes from Lucas from the time of the making
          >of Empire. From these quotes, it sounds more like Lucas caved in to
          >popularity and what he believed made a fun movie, rather than sticking
          >to his story as he originally conceived it. Had he done so, would we
          >have better films? Who knows.

          Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
          doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
          which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
          entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

          The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
          Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
          Luke did.

          David Bratman
        • Hugh Davis
          Message 4 of 13 , May 28, 2005
            >From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
            >Evidently this explains the Ewok-romp that was "Return of the Jedi," but it
            >doesn't explain "Phantom Menace" (and, as far as I can tell, its successors
            >which are in the same vein), which falls into the exact opposite error:
            >entirely pompous and no fun at all unless you're an auto-racing fan.

            It might explain them in the sense that Lucas gave way to what he thought
            was fun and popular instead of well-considered. When Phantom Menace was
            released, many compared the pod-racing with Quidditch games from Harry
            Potter--perhaps Lucas thought he had found something similar to those, and
            that is why he went for that part of the spectable.

            >The quotes don't verify, but do tend to confirm, my original guess: that
            >Lucas didn't originally know that Vader was Luke's father any more than
            >Luke did.

            David I think you are right about this. Personally, the idea that the
            student turned on the teacher is a more expected archetype, and I think that
            was his actual plan.

            Hugh
            Message 5 of 13 , May 28, 2005
              But Hugh, that may explain the drag, um, pod racing scene, but it doesn't
              explain the rest of the movie.

              "Exciting? No it's _not_. It's dull. Dull. _Dull._ My God it's dull,
              it's so desperately dull and tedious and stuffy and boring and
              des-per-ate-ly DULL." - Monty Python
            • Hugh Davis
              Message 6 of 13 , May 28, 2005
                Fair enough--I'm not trying to defend it, by any means.