Picture of Inklings

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27 10:39 AM
      Query to me as Corresponding Secretary--can anyone help?

      I am working on a series of books for children called 'Writers Uncovered'
      to be published by Harcourt Education in March 2006. One of the books is
      about Tolkien. I am looking for the following and wonder if you may be
      able to help or could suggest where I might look:

      Photo of members of The Inklings having a meeting-showing Tolkien and C S
      Lewis if at all possible.

      Andrea Sadler
      9 Linzee Road
      London N8 7RG
      andrea_sadler@...
      Tel: 07813 188116

      Edith L. Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27 1:46 PM
        Arent there pictures in either Carpenter's bio of Tolkien, or Hooper's book
        about Lewis? I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but those books are in a
        box under another box and a tall wobbly stack of books.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com (see my ad in Contemporary Doll Collector magazine)
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        Message 3 of 3 , May 27 2:19 PM
          The Inklings were certainly never photographed having a meeting. The very
          idea would have infuriated them. I suggest anyone considering writing a
          book about them contemplate why they would feel that way.

          There is a photo of a few of the Inklings - including Lewis, but not
          Tolkien - on the terrace of the Trout Inn, one of their favorite country
          pubs, published in Humphrey Carpenter's _The Inklings_. The credit for the
          photo is the Wade Center, and I suggest inquiries for photos of the
          Inklings be sent there, or to Marquette, where I believe there is a catalog
          of all known photographs of Tolkien.

          David Bratman