Re: [mythsoc] John Ronald Reuel Tolkien and geopolitics.

    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2005
      At 02:06 PM 5/21/2005 -0400, Pat Wynne wrote:

      >Hey, here's an idea -- let's talk about how the new Star Wars
      >movie parallels the war in Iraq! David, you go first! ;-)

      Sorry, Pat. I sat through all the Jackson films so that I could
      legitimately talk about them, but asking me to watch George Lucas is going
      too far.

      Just a couple remarks about the original post:

      At 05:20 PM 5/21/2005 +0000, Alex Fantalov wrote:

      >Geopolitics of "The Lord of the Rings" is absolutely precise. West
      >Kings fighting against of the East - to `gloomy Mordor'. Antagonists
      >are divided with the River (whether Danube, whether Volga).

      Antagonists are not precisely divided with the River. Saruman is west of
      it; Thranduil and Dain are east of it. More importantly, both sides can
      cross the River and frequently do: this is important to the plot The
      Nazgul are usually seen by us west of the River; Faramir is usually seen
      east of it.

      Nor were Cold War antagonists divided with the Danube or Volga (or the
      Rhine, mentioned later).

      >The stronghold Gondor can correspond to Hungary (resisting to Turks)
      >or Austria. But the name is borrowed from the Ethiopian geography

      No it is not. Tolkien specifically denied this in his Letters (p. 409). A
      glance at the History of Middle-earth would show that the name was
      originally Ond, later Ondor, derived from an old word for "stone".

      Historically I'd describe Gondor as far more equivalent to the Byzantine
      empire.

      - David Bratman