Re: Re: [mythsoc] Mythic SF synthesis?

    Message 1 of 19 , May 24, 2005
      At 04:06 PM 5/20/2005 -0400, Anne wrote:
      >I've just assumed (yeah, shouldn't do that) that I wouldn't care for
      >cyberpunk and haven't gone out of my way to look for it. And know nothing
      >about it.
      >But I loved Zelazny's "24 Views of Mount Fuji," and "The Matrix" kept me
      >interested, if only for its hyper-enthusiastic destructiveness. Do these
      >count? Am I a cyberpunk fan without knowing it?

      Not on the basis of those. I'd call them both anti-cyberpunk. In
      cyberpunk, being plugged in is a good thing, maybe even the goal in life.

      If Zelazny's "24 Views" had been a cyberpunk story, Kit would have been the
      hero, and Mari a hopeless Luddite. (I shan't say more than that. I don't
      want to spoil a story that really rocked me on first reading.)

      At 02:16 PM 5/20/2005 -0400, Alexei wrote:

      >That's interesting, I'd never thought of _Winterlong_ as being cyberpunk.
      >What would you see as its cyberpunk characteristics?

      Not my idea. Winterlong appears on a lot of cyberpunk reading lists.

      - David Bratman