Re: Card Ender's books

  • Olaf Keith
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2005
      Reading by publication order is a good suggestion.

      The trilogy starting with SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD is less heavy
      on "action" and features more philosophical themes. It also features
      whole new sets of characters, and a mature Ender. And far future
      planets.

      The SHADOW quartet largely focuses on "Battle school" characters and
      their families. And is set on earth and near-earth space. More
      concerned with politics. Ender is largely absent from the last three
      books.

      However, Card has recently announced that that will be at least two
      more books.

      SHADOWS IN FLIGHT (working title) which is meant to pick up loose
      threads from both series' and tie them together.

      And ENDER IN EXILE (working title) which is a sequel of sorts to
      SHADOW OF THE GIANT but features Ender again.

      Some recent Card interviews:
      http://www.scifidimensions.com/Apr05/orsonscottcard.htm
      http://scifi.com/sfw/advance/16_interview.html

      Olaf
    • karlstar2
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2005
        Definitely follow "Ender's Game" with "Speaker of the Dead". After
        that, if you are more interested in happenings on Earth, go to the
        Shadow series. If you are more interested in following Ender's saga
        to the end, read "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind". "Children of
        the Mind" has some interesting ideas on the nature of the universe,
        and heaven, ones that I think would be a bit controversial here.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"