Re: [mythsoc] [slightly OT] Lemony Snicket

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2005
      On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 03:38:26PM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      > So they are not meant as semi-comic parodies of gothic adventure? They're
      > straight-out seriously ... well.... soap operas of a type.... misery and
      > more misery? I didn't realize that. How unappealing. What am I missing
      > here?

      I think they are meant as parodies. How well they succeed in that role
      is a matter of opinion. It is obvious that they're not meant straight-out
      seriously.

      My problem with the one I read was that the characters seemed molded to
      the plot. In order to follow the formula of the series, the children have
      to be kept just miserable enough and not too miserable. So they're clever
      enough to get themselves out of the very worst of the trouble, but no
      cleverer. The adults are either benevolent, but not clever enough to be
      of any real or lasting help, or malevolent, but not clever or malevolent
      enough to actually get around to killing the children or stealing their
      fortune.

      Julie
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22, 2005
        From: "Katie Glick" <ktglick@...>
        .
        > And while I like the concept of a children's
        > series that isn't sappy and happy, the idea of reading a dozen books
        > that all go "lots of bad things happen to these kids, then they find a
        > chance at happiness, then it is snatched away at the last second,"
        > seems kind of boring and depressing to me.
        >
        > To me, it's like watching one of those comedies like "Something About
        > Mary" where the entire point seems to present a series of painful and
        > embarassing situations for the hero so we can laugh at him/her. I'm
        > just not interested in laughing at other people's misery.

        Sister! I had the same reaction to both Lemony Snicket and the movie.

        Berni
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2005
          Liz, you understand the books. Anyone who takes them as serious soap
          operas, unfortunately doesn't.

          They are Penny Dreadfuls, with tongue held firmly in cheek!

          I used to think otherwise, as well, then I heard Handler as Limony
          Snicket, on the local talk radio. It was Very Seriously Silly! Read them
          as they are, Obsurd, and they are truly fun.

          Note - Moose who hates dark, sad, depressing books, has thoroughly
          enjoyed the first one, and has the rest on his reading list for summer.
          With two long jet trips (England and back again), we're going to need
          some fun books for amusement.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa