Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Campbell's Thousand-Faced Hero

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17 11:07 AM
      Campbell's monomyth is easily displayed by photocopying the center
      spread in Hero with a Thousand Faces that illustrates the dualistic
      circular journey. Once observed, the Monomyth seems quite easily
      applicable: one can see it in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or The
      Great Gatsby as easily as Tolkien or Lucas.

      Along with Auden's "Six Qualities of a Quest," JRRT's "On Fairy
      Stories", and G.K Chesterton's "The Ethics of Elfland", as well as Kurt
      Vonnegut, Jr.'s story graph, Campbell is good opening lecture fodder in
      lit.courses that deal with sort of thing.

      To the grading of 24 term papers in such a class I now return after this
      digression.

      Cheers,
      Mike