Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

"To lighten up" (was Re: [mythsoc] May the Farce be with you)

Expand Messages
  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Well, _that_ is certainly not true! First of all lighten up has nothing to do with illumination. It is a phrase formed in contrast to heaviness in the
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17 11:06 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Well, _that_ is certainly not true!

      First of all "lighten up" has nothing to do with illumination. It is
      a phrase formed in contrast to "heaviness" in the sense of
      "seriousness". So "lighten up" simply means "don't be so serious",
      "don't take this topic/yourself/my words so seriously" and "don't
      press this matter so hard".

      So yes, in fact, you _can_ say "lighten up" to those whom you believe
      to be taking things too seriously, whether positively or negatively.
      It's thus really a way of asserting one's judgment about the
      seriousness of a matter, and/or how seriously one judges it
      appropriate for others to take some topic; and is thus a rather
      evasive, arrogant, and condescending thing to say to someone.



      On May 17, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:

      > "Lighten up" is a response to a negative comment.
      > It's never a response to a positive comment. One cannot "lighten
      > up" something
      > that is already "lit up." It would be the equivlaent to saying
      > "turn on the
      > lights" when the lights are already turned on.
      >
      > Joan
    • Mike Foster
      Okay, so let s all lighten up about lighten up . Mike ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17 11:09 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        Okay, so let's all lighten up about 'lighten up'.

        Mike

        Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        >Well, _that_ is certainly not true!
        >
        >First of all "lighten up" has nothing to do with illumination. It is
        >a phrase formed in contrast to "heaviness" in the sense of
        >"seriousness". So "lighten up" simply means "don't be so serious",
        >"don't take this topic/yourself/my words so seriously" and "don't
        >press this matter so hard".
        >
        >So yes, in fact, you _can_ say "lighten up" to those whom you believe
        >to be taking things too seriously, whether positively or negatively.
        >It's thus really a way of asserting one's judgment about the
        >seriousness of a matter, and/or how seriously one judges it
        >appropriate for others to take some topic; and is thus a rather
        >evasive, arrogant, and condescending thing to say to someone.
        >
        >
        >
        >On May 17, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        >>"Lighten up" is a response to a negative comment.
        >>It's never a response to a positive comment. One cannot "lighten
        >>up" something
        >>that is already "lit up." It would be the equivlaent to saying
        >>"turn on the
        >>lights" when the lights are already turned on.
        >>
        >>Joan
        >>
        >>
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Sir, yes sir.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 17 11:14 AM
        • 0 Attachment
          Sir, yes sir.


          On May 17, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Mike Foster wrote:

          > Okay, so let's all lighten up about 'lighten up'.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
          >
          >
          >> Well, _that_ is certainly not true!
          >>
          >> First of all "lighten up" has nothing to do with illumination. It is
          >> a phrase formed in contrast to "heaviness" in the sense of
          >> "seriousness". So "lighten up" simply means "don't be so serious",
          >> "don't take this topic/yourself/my words so seriously" and "don't
          >> press this matter so hard".
          >>
          >> So yes, in fact, you _can_ say "lighten up" to those whom you believe
          >> to be taking things too seriously, whether positively or negatively.
          >> It's thus really a way of asserting one's judgment about the
          >> seriousness of a matter, and/or how seriously one judges it
          >> appropriate for others to take some topic; and is thus a rather
          >> evasive, arrogant, and condescending thing to say to someone.
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >> On May 17, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>> "Lighten up" is a response to a negative comment.
          >>> It's never a response to a positive comment. One cannot "lighten
          >>> up" something
          >>> that is already "lit up." It would be the equivlaent to saying
          >>> "turn on the
          >>> lights" when the lights are already turned on.
          >>>
          >>> Joan
          >>>
          >>>
          >>>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >> The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
          >> Yahoo! Groups Links
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >>
          >
          >
          > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
          > ~-->
          > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
          > At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM
          > --------------------------------------------------------------------
          > ~->
          >
          > The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
          >
        • Mike Foster
          Well, this has been a pleasant digestif but my gradebook calls, with a sound like a swan belching. Exiting, I ll put a nickel in the jukebox to play this 1968
          Message 4 of 5 , May 17 11:23 AM
          • 0 Attachment
            Well, this has been a pleasant digestif but my gradebook calls, with a
            sound like a swan belching.

            Exiting, I'll put a nickel in the jukebox to play this 1968 toppermost
            of the poppermost by Glasgow's own Donovan Leitch, refrain lifted from
            "Hey Jude".

            Is it pre-Numenorean? Is it proto-Valarian? Is it Mythopoeic? Is it
            Monomythic? Is it about three minutes too long?

            Cheers,
            Mike

            Atlantis

            The continent of Atlantis was an island which lay before the
            great flood
            in the area we now call the Atlantic Ocean.
            So great an area of land, that from her western shores
            those beautiful sailors journeyed to the South and the North
            Americas with ease,
            in their ships with painted sails.
            To the East Africa was a neighbour, across a short strait of sea
            miles.
            The great Egyptian age is but a remnant of The Atlantian
            culture.
            The antediluvian kings colonised the world
            All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas
            In all legends from all lands were from fair Atlantis.
            Knowing her fate, Atlantis sent out ships to all corners of the
            Earth.
            On board were the Twelve:
            The poet, the physician, the farmer, the scientist,
            The magician and the other so-called Gods of our legends.
            Though Gods they were -
            And as the elders of our time choose to remain blind
            Let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new
            Hail Atlantis!
            Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,
            Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,
            Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.
            Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be,
            Way down below the ocean where I wanna be she may be.
            My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,
            I wanna see you some day
            My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah,
            My antediluvian baby,
            My antediluvian baby, I love you, girl,
            Girl, I wanna see you some day.
            My antediluvian baby, oh yeah
            I wanna see you some day, oh
            My antediluvian baby.
            My antediluvian baby, I wanna see you
            My antediluvian baby, gotta tell me where she gone
            I wanna see you some day
            Wake up, wake up, wake up, wake up, oh yeah
            Oh glub glub, down down, yeah
            My antediluvian baby, oh yeah yeah yeah yeah




            Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

            >Sir, yes sir.
            >
            >
            >On May 17, 2005, at 2:09 PM, Mike Foster wrote:
            >
            >
            >
            >>Okay, so let's all lighten up about 'lighten up'.
            >>
            >>Mike
            >>
            >>Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>>Well, _that_ is certainly not true!
            >>>
            >>>First of all "lighten up" has nothing to do with illumination. It is
            >>>a phrase formed in contrast to "heaviness" in the sense of
            >>>"seriousness". So "lighten up" simply means "don't be so serious",
            >>>"don't take this topic/yourself/my words so seriously" and "don't
            >>>press this matter so hard".
            >>>
            >>>So yes, in fact, you _can_ say "lighten up" to those whom you believe
            >>>to be taking things too seriously, whether positively or negatively.
            >>>It's thus really a way of asserting one's judgment about the
            >>>seriousness of a matter, and/or how seriously one judges it
            >>>appropriate for others to take some topic; and is thus a rather
            >>>evasive, arrogant, and condescending thing to say to someone.
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>On May 17, 2005, at 1:19 PM, Joan.Marie.Verba@... wrote:
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>>"Lighten up" is a response to a negative comment.
            >>>>It's never a response to a positive comment. One cannot "lighten
            >>>>up" something
            >>>>that is already "lit up." It would be the equivlaent to saying
            >>>>"turn on the
            >>>>lights" when the lights are already turned on.
            >>>>
            >>>>Joan
            >>>>
            >>>>
            >>>>
            >>>>
            >>>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
            >>>Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>>
            >>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------
            >>~-->
            >>In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
            >>At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide!
            >>http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/DtIolB/TM
            >>--------------------------------------------------------------------
            >>~->
            >>
            >>The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
            >>Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >>
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >The Mythopoeic Society website http://www.mythsoc.org
            >Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >
            >


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Stolzi
            ... From: Mike Foster ... It doesn t rhyme : [ Diamond Proudbrook
            Message 5 of 5 , May 17 3:17 PM
            • 0 Attachment
              ----- Original Message -----
              From: "Mike Foster" <mafoster@...>

              > Is it pre-Numenorean? Is it proto-Valarian? Is it Mythopoeic? Is it
              > Monomythic? Is it about three minutes too long?

              It doesn't rhyme >: [



              Diamond Proudbrook
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.