Re: [mythsoc] Gaiman etc.

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2005

      Like first: I like lots of art. Susan Seddon Boulet and Frank Frazetta
      are probably among my favorites. Check out my tattoos for a general idea.
      Oops, no camera, sorry. I like sleek. I like light and shadow. I like
      women and horses. I like koi. I don't like choppy or blocky. I don't
      like the third-grader look. I guess that's the collage stuff? Oh, and in
      general I just don't like the dark side of fantasy. I'm not sure where I
      draw the line between the horror I like (Lovecraft, Poe) and the stuff I
      don't (not even always horror -- Louise Erdich frightens me sometimes). I
      guess I like the gothic beauty of things like Ligeia. And Salmonson's (I
      believe) "What Did Miss Darrington See?" There is enough horror in real
      life, and enough nightmare beating around in my own mind, that I really
      Really do not need nor want to read it in "entertainment" form. Although
      for some it is cathartic. Some of you may have suspected that I'm a little
      bit mad. Well, maybe you're right. And maybe I know where I don't need to
      go.

      > Gaiman has worked with a lot of artists. Personally, I prefer his
      > work with Charles Vess (including, but not limited to 4ish Sandman
      > issues and the excellent Stardust.

      That makes sense. There is that kind of range in comic and graphic art
      series. Serieses? But again, the time thing. Tell me where he has a
      story with a fierce sleek even tortured successful female heroine (whether
      more like SheHulk, Red Sonja, Wicked Wanda or Ghost in the Shell) and I
      might have a look.

      > Well, yes. But it's a mistake to assume a single graphic style even
      > to Sandman, which was drawn by quite a number of artists, each with a
      > distinctive style.

      I think I'd be afraid of Sandman. I'm just a big chicken. buc buh-cawwk

      > Murder Mysteries, I hear, is good (there's an graphic novel version
      > now, but it was originally published as a short story collection).

      And I think that most of Gaiman's stuff is probably too dark for me. After
      I make some progress catching up I will reconsider. Maybe American Gods?
      Maybe Stardust?

      thanks,

      Lizzie