ADMIN: Advisory

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2005
      I've counted 12 posts this day on the subject of being condescending, and how
      telling someone they're being condescending is condescending. Suggest we wrap
      this up and discuss other topics.

      (On the topic of being condescending, I've been accused of this myself when
      such was not my intention, so I know that it's possible to appear this way
      unknowingly. On the other hand, I wouldn't have changed my approach unless it
      had been pointed it out to me. However, since it now has been pointed out, and
      both perspectives have aired their views, let's move on.)

      Joan
      Friendly Neighborhood Watchful Mythsoc List Administrator
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 7 , May 11, 2005
        Before we end this, can I just thank Lizzie for having the good grace
        to be able to exhibit some good humor towards me, her supposed "mean"
        "attacker", unlike some of her self-styled defenders? Whatever others
        choose to imagine me to think about Lizzie, I certainly do think
        she's got a good sense of humor.
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , May 11, 2005
          Well, thank you. Thank you very much. I do work at it. We all have to be
          good at something, and I think it's pretty obvious that logical rhetoric is
          not my strong point. Ahem. Actually I am glad to see other folks standing
          up to argue. One of my issues has often been that people who disagree, and
          don't have the power arguments behind them, OK, us (and I personally think
          that a lot of this is subjective call turf) do get stomped on, and it does
          make one hesitant to post. How can we explore uncharted territories when
          we never want to leave the charted areas?

          I will admit to being flip, facetious, silly and having a dirty mind.
          Won't you please consider the possibility that you do come across a bit on
          the unreasonably unfriendly side? C'mon. I'll give you lots of points for
          favoring the Silmarillion.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

          Message 4 of 7 , May 12, 2005
            On May 11, 2005, at 7:08 PM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

            > Won't you please consider the possibility that you do come across a
            > bit on
            > the unreasonably unfriendly side?

            Sure. Sometimes I even mean to be unfriendly -- for example, when
            someone sees fit to attribute beliefs or claims to me that I don't
            hold and never did, and then persists in their efforts after being
            challenged on it, I don't feel an particular need to be friendly (and
            don't consider that unreasonable).

            And will you consider the possibility that I actually mean what I
            say, and that very often on Internet fora people don't read
            thoughtfully and carefully and in context before firing off a reply?
            And that just because someone decides to take offense to something
            someone else wrote does not mean that offense either is justified or
            was intended?

            Cheers,

            Carl
          • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
              There are a bunch of fairly new people on this list who may not be aware that,
              while this is not a moderated list, this list does have an administrator (me)
              who keeps track of the discussions and has the ability to either put listmembers
              on moderation (where I have to see and approve your posts before they are
              posted) or remove them from the list entirely.

              In the past couple of weeks, there has been, in my opinion, a lot of unnecessary
              unpleasantness on the list, from more than one listmember. Generally, these
              discussions diminish on their own, and this is what I prefer to happen.

              It seemed, this morning, that the latest unpleasantness was tapering off, when
              this morning, apparently, one or two listmembers felt the topic needed
              revisiting.

              This is an advisory: please check your posts for objectivity before clicking on
              "send." This is all I'm asking for now. Please be aware, however, that I read
              all posts and am monitoring the situation. We want this list to be a pleasant
              experience for all. Vigorous debate is fine; it need not be personal.

              Cordially,
              Joan
              Your Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc List Administrator
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2012
                Sorry, I wrote my last before I saw Joan's advisory. I agree it's out of place now - but no more so than what I was responding to.

                I have also now read Toyin's latest, and we are back where we started - with unsupported declarations that I can only respond to, as I responded the first time and which set Toyin off the first time, with "I reject this utterly."

                To repeat, I do not reject Toyin's right to enjoy the movies. Enjoy away. Be reminded of Tolkien as much as you want. But I reject utterly any claim that Jackson _does_ understand Tolkien, even expressed as an opinion.

                To back this up, however, I would have to go into plot details, which Toyin says do not "have much meaning for me." So any reply is dismissed into the trivia bin before it starts.
              • ftl_publications
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2013
                  This is an advisory from the Friendly Neighborhood Mythsoc Administrator that a
                  handful of the current exchanges are nearing the edge of civil discourse. Please
                  pay careful attention to them before they go over the line.

                  Thank you for your attention.

                  Carry on.

                  Joan