Re: [mythsoc] Harry Potter, Gollum and Darth Vader

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 10 , May 11, 2005
      On May 11, 2005, at 11:55 AM, WendellWag@... wrote:

      > Lucas does better when he just assembles for himself the bits and
      > pieces from all the stories that inspired him - _The Wizard of Oz_,
      > _The Lord of the Rings_, the King Arthur legends, _The Chronicles
      > of Prydain_, _The Searchers_, _The Triumph of the Will_, _The Dam
      > Busters_, _The Hidden Fortress_, and many other things. It would
      > have been better if Lucas had never heard of Campbell.

      Amen! I think Tolkien would have recognized the same thing: that
      creating a story of one's own by dipping into the Great Pot of Story
      would assuredly be more successful and satisfying than constraining a
      story to reflecting some Great Meaning or adhering to some Theory of
      Myth.

      I will be seeing the third SW movie next week, with the visiting Pat
      Wynne. We love to do to the MST3K thing through bad movies, so it
      should be great fun, though not in the way Lucas intended!