Re: narnia trailer

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2005
      On 11 May 2005 11:58:16 -0000, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      <mythsoc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 22:31:00 -0700
      > From: Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...>
      > Subject: LW&W Siting during HP
      >
      > The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe had a preview during HP on Saturday
      > Night.
      >
      > Aslan is a LION! All the animals looked very good, and like I saw them
      > in my mind's eye. They are no longer actors in aminal costumes. The
      > children looked believable too. This was only a trailer type thing and
      > gave no plot, just images. But it was nice to see Aslan Roaring!

      You can also see the trailer here:

      http://movies.channel.aol.com/franchise/exclusives/chronicles_of_narnia_movie

      if you have Quicktime.

      I thought it looked ... well, just like the Lord of the Rings. It
      almost seems as if a "fantasy movie style" is being invented before
      our very eyes. Everything must be shot in New Zealand if it takes
      place in a fantasy world, apparently. Basically, the movie as shown in
      the trailers just looked a LOT like Lemony Snicket combined with LotR.
      And while both of those movies are lovely, and this one looks lovely
      too, the more pervasive the style, the less unique the films become.
      And it doesn't make sense for Narnia to look like Middle-Earth to me,
      and it doesn't make sense for a film of the Chronicles of Narnia to
      look and feel just like a film of the Lord of the Rings.

      It looked gorgeous, but not at all how I've always imagined Narnia.
      For me, Narnia wasn't really something grand and huge, it was more
      small and homey and comfortable. This seemed so huge and bright and
      shiny. I was perplexed by the humongous battle scene being shown, not
      at all like anything I had pictured the battle against the witches'
      minions to be. This seemed like the preview for an epic fantasy, and
      while I love Narnia, I don't think of it as an "epic." Its heroes are
      children and talking animals; not grizzled warriors, mystical wizards
      and wise ancient elves. I never pictured the battles that took place
      as huge clashes on open plains, but more as sort chaos in a small
      area. And everything was so ... bright.

      I did think Tilda Swinton looked fantastic as the White Witch. A lot
      scarier and more otherworldly looking than my "mind's eye" picture but
      really cool-looking. But, um ... why is the White Witch wearing BLACK?
      I know petty, but ... I just kind of thought that one was a
      no-brainer.

      Apparently Aslan doesn't have a voice yet (the actor who was supposed
      to do it dropped out) so he just roars in the trailer, no speaking
      part. But I think he looks great. Of course, one of the people testing
      to play Aslan's voice now is Ian McKellan. Gandalf + Aslan would
      certainly be a coup for the actor, I guess.

      I guess mostly what I learned from watching the preview was that I
      have a much more detailed and precise vision of what Narnia and its
      inhabitants look like than I did of Middle-Earth and its inhabitants,
      because I didn't have any weird disassociative effects when presented
      with the images in the Peter Jackson movies, as I did with this
      trailer.

      I'm certainly not grumping yet ... I wasn't really horrified by the
      difference in my mental perception of Narnia and the trailers, just
      kind of ... weirded out. It's not *my* Narnia, but that doesn't mean
      it's a bad Narnia.

      -kt