Re: [mythsoc] From the Council of Stewards

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 40 , May 10, 2005
      Just to show the sort of "regard for all views" that malcontents from
      this list are supposedly championing, consider this couple of choice
      quotes that one splinter-group founder has seen as accurately
      characterizing this list:

      "Woo hoo, those of you who have left there for here (versus stayed
      there AND come here as well) there is a major battle going on over
      there. It's pretty silly if you ask me. The Council of Stewards is
      attempting to create some new guidelines so that recent
      unpleasantnesses will not recur. And of course, the Status Quo is
      being challenged, and it is fighting mightily."

      ("Major battle"? The fact that views disagreed with are
      hyperbolically mischaracterized is, of course, not surprising. What
      is surprising is that anyone feels we should take such views as
      useful for determining the state and course of this list.)

      "I believe the reason the comment [regarding Diana Paxson's "Westria"
      series] was made offlist was that the books are, fairly naturally I
      think, written in a non-Christian frame of reference, and that can be
      a problem on [the Mythsoc] list."

      (I'm not aware of _any_ case on the list where commenting on works
      "written in non-Christian frame of reference" has proven in any way
      to be "a problem", so I invite Lizzie to please back up her assertion
      with even one example.)

      6 by the grace of the Council.
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 40 of 40 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Bill how's the coffee? Mine's not so great lately.

        Yes, I would like to see more about other authors. I do love Tolkien,
        honestly the man was a genius, but I want to hear more about today too.
        And I especially want to know who else reads Kazantzakis, or knows people
        who do. I am behind in my reading, but he's one of my favorites, and I'd
        really like some insights.

        Do you know that there are rats with curly coats? I have never seen one.
        Do you think they would have better insulation when they had to swim away
        from the ship?

        Lizzie (squeak)

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        amor vincit omnia