Re: [mythsoc] From the Council of Stewards

  • Kevin Bowring
    Message 1 of 40 , May 10, 2005
      I largely follow the discussions quietly from the side, and I sympathize
      with the headaches of moderating a list like this. I wholeheartedly
      endorse number 2, I also feel like I am going to be unduly deprived of the
      pleasures of the rapid exchanges that frequently happen when a hot topic
      comes up. I anticipate, for example, a lot of back and forth over the new
      Harry Potter, the new LW&W movie, etc. For instance, how could you limit
      David Bratman's always informative and intelligent resonses to queries and
      clarifications of all kinds of difficult issues to a mere five responses
      when there is a really vital topic under discussion? It doesn't make any
      sense. The same could be said of several others. It would be like saying
      that you could only speak five times in an ongoing and lively debate over a
      couple of pints of Guiness--it's almost criminal!

      So I don't think the number of responses should be limited unless there is
      some clear kind of abuse taking place which is clogging the lines and
      getting noses severly out of joint (tweaking noses should, however, be
      occasionally allowed, as long as it doesn't become a habit). But of course
      I agree entirely that anyone displaying disrespect or using ad hominem's or
      other forms of abuse should be put in time-out and deprived of dessert.
      Kevin Bowring

      Dear list member,<BR>
      On behalf of the Council of Stewards (the governing board of the<BR>
      Mythopoeic Society), I'd like to thank you for participating, whether<BR>
      actively or passively, with the Society's email discussion list. The<BR>
      Society exists for the study, discussion, and enjoyment of fantastic<BR>
      and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S.<BR>
      Lewis, and Charles Williams. As such, the yahoogroups discussion list<BR>
      helps us to fulfill that purpose.<BR>
      Recently, however, events on the list have precipitated a number of<BR>
      people leaving the list, some publicly and some privately. Almost all<BR>
      have done so because they have felt that strongly held beliefs were<BR>
      drowning out the free exchange of ideas on the list.<BR>
      While the Council of Stewards does not wish to curtail the open<BR>
      exchange of ideas, we feel that some rules are needed in order to<BR>
      allow as many to participate as possible. As such, we are implementing<BR>
      the following rules:<BR>
      1. All members will henceforth be limited to only five (5) posts per<BR>
      24-hour period. Any member who fails to follow this rule will be<BR>
      placed on moderated status.<BR>
      2. Any member whose postings are determined by either the Council of<BR>
      Stewards or by the list moderator to be unduly ad hominem in character<BR>
      or whose postings routinely display a disregard for the views of<BR>
      others will be put on moderated status.<BR>
      3. Any member on moderated status who continues to violate the above<BR>
      rules will be banned from the list.<BR>
      The Council of Stewards hereby wishes to recognize the good job that<BR>
      Joan Marie Verba has been doing in moderating this list, which was<BR>
      established as a very loosely moderated list. However, as the stewards
      the interests of the Society, we feel that some action is needed lest<BR>
      we lose sight of those very principles which make the Mythopoeic<BR>
      Society so unique in fantasy literature societies today, namely that<BR>
      we are open to all scholars, writers, and readers of these<BR>
      We ask that you all join with us to help the Society continue not only<BR>
      to be open to diverse constituencies, but also to do so in a way that<BR>
      is polite and considerate.<BR>
      Thank you,<BR>
      Matthew Winslow<BR>
      President, Mythopoeic Society<BR>
      On behalf of the Council of Stewards<BR>

      The Mythopoeic Society website <a

      <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

      <tt><hr width="500">
      <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a
      <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<br><a
      <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
      href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of Service</a>.

      <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 40 of 40 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Bill how's the coffee? Mine's not so great lately.

        Yes, I would like to see more about other authors. I do love Tolkien,
        honestly the man was a genius, but I want to hear more about today too.
        And I especially want to know who else reads Kazantzakis, or knows people
        who do. I am behind in my reading, but he's one of my favorites, and I'd
        really like some insights.

        Do you know that there are rats with curly coats? I have never seen one.
        Do you think they would have better insulation when they had to swim away
        from the ship?

        Lizzie (squeak)

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        amor vincit omnia