From the Council of Stewards

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 40 , May 10, 2005
      Dear list member,

      On behalf of the Council of Stewards (the governing board of the
      Mythopoeic Society), I'd like to thank you for participating, whether
      actively or passively, with the Society's email discussion list. The
      Society exists for the study, discussion, and enjoyment of fantastic
      and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S.
      Lewis, and Charles Williams. As such, the yahoogroups discussion list
      helps us to fulfill that purpose.

      Recently, however, events on the list have precipitated a number of
      people leaving the list, some publicly and some privately. Almost all
      have done so because they have felt that strongly held beliefs were
      drowning out the free exchange of ideas on the list.

      While the Council of Stewards does not wish to curtail the open
      exchange of ideas, we feel that some rules are needed in order to
      allow as many to participate as possible. As such, we are implementing
      the following rules:

      1. All members will henceforth be limited to only five (5) posts per
      24-hour period. Any member who fails to follow this rule will be
      placed on moderated status.

      2. Any member whose postings are determined by either the Council of
      Stewards or by the list moderator to be unduly ad hominem in character
      or whose postings routinely display a disregard for the views of
      others will be put on moderated status.

      3. Any member on moderated status who continues to violate the above
      rules will be banned from the list.

      The Council of Stewards hereby wishes to recognize the good job that
      Joan Marie Verba has been doing in moderating this list, which was
      established as a very loosely moderated list. However, as the stewards of
      the interests of the Society, we feel that some action is needed lest
      we lose sight of those very principles which make the Mythopoeic
      Society so unique in fantasy literature societies today, namely that
      we are open to all scholars, writers, and readers of these
      literatures.

      We ask that you all join with us to help the Society continue not only
      to be open to diverse constituencies, but also to do so in a way that
      is polite and considerate.

      Thank you,

      Matthew Winslow
      President, Mythopoeic Society
      On behalf of the Council of Stewards
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 40 of 40 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Bill how's the coffee? Mine's not so great lately.

        Yes, I would like to see more about other authors. I do love Tolkien,
        honestly the man was a genius, but I want to hear more about today too.
        And I especially want to know who else reads Kazantzakis, or knows people
        who do. I am behind in my reading, but he's one of my favorites, and I'd
        really like some insights.

        Do you know that there are rats with curly coats? I have never seen one.
        Do you think they would have better insulation when they had to swim away
        from the ship?

        Lizzie (squeak)

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...